Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANY "DUCK " FANS OUT THERE ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BONZOBASS, May 13, 2003.

1. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    about 6 months ago i recieved a vid. called PLAYING IN THE STYLE OF FENDERS GREATS,hosted by ROB EFFORD(?)a very well rounded session player and recording artist,and he proceeded to break down a few of DUCK'S bass lines and HOLY CRAP can those bass lines push some air ! the syncopation was so cool and flowing i was blown away, one of the lines was i believe was SOUL MAN(the actual song from which the basslines came from was not mentioned due to copyright legal stuff)and a few others that i could'nt quit place. Since that historic nite of the first viewing of the tape my approach to the bass has drastically changed, i now learn alot more sync. stuff and learned some JAMERSON as well. i was just wondering anybody know some good stuff to learn by the DUCK? any other fans of his out there? its kinda sad this dude was a bass great and aside from THE BLUES BROTHERS movie he gets no attention while the same banana heads day after day get all the focus around here.(if you consider yourself a "banana head" i mean no dis-respect)

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Duck was my first bass idol, (aside from my father who taught me a lot of the bassics, of course. ;) )

I totally love his groove. Lots of tasty playing. One of the few Ampeg players who has a tone I like. I espcially love his groove in Aretha Franklin's, "Think", off of the BB soundtrack. Seriously underrated player.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Duck DUnn's one of my favorites. Booker T And the MGs -- the Stax counterpart to the Funk Brothers-- have a few releases of their own, including Green Onions and Hip Hug-Her. Aside from that, go through the whole Stax catalog-- WIlson Pickett, Eddie FLoyd, the lot. Duck rules, NEVER a note out of place.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There was a recording out of Otis Redding live.
    This was done at the Monterey Pop festival 1967
    [ yes, The Famous Summer of Love! ].

The tunes included, I may miss some, were
    Shake, I've Been Loving You Too Long, Satisfaction, Try a Little Tenderness.
    This was released once with Otis on one side and Jimi on the other.

The band rips them all up.

Mick J and the Stones attended, but did not play at this venue. [ D.A. Pennebaker's documentary film shows them, and Otis' performance as well. ]

Micks comment was, 'I wouldn't want come on after him!' No ShOOOOOt!

Get this if you like Duck.
    OG

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I first started playing bass, I remember commenting to someone who said "les claypool is the best bassist ever"(note, I was a HUGE primus fan back then, this was before I had even heard any bass virtuosos)
    I said " donald duck dunn, is the best bassist ever, he may not have that flashy thumb stuff, but he has the most impeccable sense of time and feel"

I still stand by that statement.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There's a book available that you should check out. It's called 'What Duck Done', (ISBN 0-9701389-0-3)... Two CD's and 33 transcriptions of his lines... Great reference. Not alot of editorial 'meat', but fantastic at getting into his playing. Highly recommended...

-robert

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Word. And who doesn't love the "Blues Brotheres"? Or the "Best of the Blues Brothers" DVD. That was a fun band.

8. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    thanks alot everybody for taking your time to give good f/back,alot of useful info given about the "DUCKSTER" i wil now put this info to use.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    So true :)

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Duck Dunn is in my top 5 list, right there with Jaco, Jamerson, Levin ect...

Like others said, buy the transcription book!!
    It's really cool, I play with it quite often.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The thing I love most about ducks playing is his abillity to control where he places the beat. some tunes hes on it, some behind, some ahead and its allways feels natural and is,where it "should" be for the song!For me this is one of the hardest consepts to jive on with band mates and I find it so inspirering to hear!

AJ