Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any edged weapons training in atlanta?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Jan 8, 2006.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    since I pretty much have no idea whatsoever what im talking about when it comes to guns, I REALLY got hooked on knives, so i was wondering if there are any good edged weapons training programs in atlanta? preferably folding knives, but karambits and stuff is cool too.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO, it is harder to master knives than guns. And in a knife fight, someone always loses, but nobody wins. :crying:

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Not to brag, but I'm an Akido Shodan, knives are easily taken away and used back on you by someone w/ training. I can do nothing about a gun 4 feet away.

4. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    yeah, but knives are cheaper, and easier to carry around, and easier to not kill someone with
    axtoox, does that apply to karambits too?

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's just as easy not to kill someone with a gun. Just miss :)

Be mindful that some types of knives are illegal for carry. Check local laws.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It's not a good idea, but if that's what you want to do, I'd start w/ some gun clubs and see if they can point you in the ritght direction. All my edged weapon training came from martial arts, Knives and Swords. I've been trained and won't carry one.
    Aikido is for very dedicated people, it takes a long time to learn, but you might consider some Kenpo Karate. They teach weapons and defenses and are very good.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Karambits too? yes, I don't take it out of your hand, I use your whole hand as a handle. I wish I could show you.

They are a better Idea, they will work better against someone who aims to disarm you but I'm taught to use your whole hand and give back to you in the gut, ribs or I can make you fall back against it slitting your throat.

8. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    i was actually thinking more along the lines of guns acidentaly discharge, non-springloaded knives probably won't, you don't have to check a knife to make sure its loaded, it doesn't cost 5 cents everytime you use it, and its alot less maintenance(usually), and i know they're illegal to carry, but i usually have one in the glovebox of my parents car (legal in Georgia), and thanks again axtoox, illl try that

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    No problem, Just don't get yourself hurt.
    That was my #1 priority when teaching, was teaching them not to get hurt.
    Didn't mean to get so graphic. Sorry.

10. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    don't worry about it, all advice is good advice... except wrong advice...

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How far do you have to get on Ninja Gaiden to achieve that rating? :D

-Mike

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had no idea what a karambit was, so I did a search for the term.

Yikes dude!!!! Why in the thunder are you going to carry one of those around??

-Mike

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well if the game is like my classes, 5yrs and a lot of pain!!!! I don't know how the game dupicates pain :)

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    When I teach self defense to women who need something quick and dirty, I tell them to get an old fashioned can opener, the ones w/ a triangle on one side. It fits in your hand so it can't be taken away, and that triangle tip leaves a very nasty wound on the forearm or inside of the thigh. I tell them to put it on thieir keyring on the round side and carry it in their hand on the way to the car or house. Same principal, but not as nasty.

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Might sound stupid, but having a lighter in your fist while hitting seems to make it easier to hit hard.

;)

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That works, a roll of coins works better. I carry a Kubaton, there are 2 kinds. The one I carry is a metal bar that fits in the palm of your hand and extends out a little on each end. The other the Karate people carry has a point on one end. You can punch with it, or use the ends. Whith some training they can be very nasty.