Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any electric 5 strings that are E A D G B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob M, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I know that the first 5 string stand up bass had an additional high B instead of the low B, which is popular on electric basses, but I was wondering if any 5 string electric basses that aren't horribly expensive are made for E A D G B? If not, how much would it cost to buy a B E A D G 5 string and get a nut cut/installed so that I could keep E the lowest and add a high B?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm sure any 5-string could be strung in that fashsion if that's how you want it, or you could buy a 5-string with a high C and tune the C down to B. If it's a 5-string with a low B, all you would need is a new nut and possibly new bridge saddles. You'd most likely have to get them slotted for that configuration.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with bassist Tim Bogert. I read he's been playing Yamaha TRB 6's tuned like a guitar (only an octave lower) for many years.

It shouldn't be a problem IMO for a qualified repair tech to make the mods for you, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

3. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I wasnt' aware any basses were made like that, do you have a link to any?

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They don't NEED to be made like that -- you make it like that. Instead of stringing it BEADG, just string it EADGC, and then tune the C down half a step. In a recent poll, 1/4 of all TB'ers that use 5 strings have a high C instead of a low B. You MIGHT need a new nut (read: MIGHT), but that's it. You don't need new bridge saddles. You just buy a six string set, throw away the low B (or keep it if you don't like the high B) and string it EADGC.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Govithoy, you don't think the wider groove in the B string's saddle won't cause any rattling when you replace the B with an E? I've slotted many of my Badass-II bridges myself. I've always made the slots as small as I could get away with to get the best witness point possible. This also prevents string rattles at the bridge.

I also thought that you could specify BEADG or EADGC when you bought a 5 string (Probably not on mass-produced 5's.). That way you wouldn't have to buy a new nut a re-slot it I will certainly say if you switch from a B to an E you WILL have to buy a new nut or the string will rattle.

JUst my 2 cents
    Best regards, A.P.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I ordered my first 5 string in 90-91 tuned E-A-D-G-B I had to mail a set of strings to have them do it too. I played it like that till the late 90's. I'm thinking of getting a fretted 7 and tuning B-E-A-D-G-B-E :bassist:

http://www.hartsafire.com/oldmusic.htm <-- all but the first and last band were tuned E-A-D-G-B "Age of Fable" is where I used it most. (be warned, those bands didn't make it for a reason ;) )

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The slots on the saddles on my fretless (Yamaha BB4F) are all the same width, and I've never noticed any rattling at all. I've also noticed that on a LOT of other basses I've played, including every Fender I've ever touched -- although, I never paid any attention to the size of the slots on the Badass on Geddy Lee basses.

On non-mass produced basses, I'm sure you could specify that as an option. Unfortunately, they may not be in Jacob's price bracket.

8. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Definately not, my price range is around $500, maybe $600 if I can find something extrordinary.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    only difference in mine was cutting a nut. ANY tech that is an actual tech can install and cut a new nut cheaply. It's been 15 years + since I paid someone to replace a nut... but it was like $35 (plus strings and setup and such... sub $100 total)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm curious. Why do you want to tune to E-A-D-G-B? That tuning will disrupt the pattern of fourths between the strings. Tuning the highest string to C maintains all the usual patterns you might use in different octaves.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    for me it was a simple choice... I'd not found a bass teacher when I started that could teach me how I wanted to play (what I heard in my head) so I took guitar lessons and taught myself bass (after 2 years of bass lessons and 4 total years of playing). When I wanted to fill in some solo sections in my trio and write chord type bass lines for some other tunes... I ordered a bass with a high B. A high C seemed dumb truthfully. My current main bass is a fretless 6 and I do little in the way of chords... so it's got a high C.

12. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    As my signature says, I'm a guitarist, the fifth string on a guitar is a B, and that's what I've gotten used to over the years. Getting a bass with a high C string would just throw me off in both playing guitar and bass, as I'd have to re-learn the positions of the notes in scales, and the re-learned scale positions might transfer over to guitar playing and throw me off. It wouldn't be anything major, it's just I've been playing guitar for 4 years and have gotten used to the B, it's what's comforable to me.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If your looking new, you might be able to squeeze a Carvin into that price range (most likely a stripped down Bolt), and I know they offer B-E-A-D-G-C(B) tuning as an "Unlisted Option".

If not or that's above your range, I'm with pretty much everyone else. This is not a difficult issue for any competent shop.