Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Elrick Players???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 26, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I just came back from G Guitars in Connecticut, and they had three sweet Elrick's. the body setneck joint is conspiciously similar to Fodera's design, but at less than half the price of a Fodera, its not half bad. anyone hear use one? or play one? what do you all think of 'em?
    [​IMG]

2. I don't like the single cutaway bodies. Nowhere around me carries them, otherwise I might try one out, if they have dual cutaway styles.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one of my students has a swamp ash/wenge/wenge elrick gold standard. plays nice, although as usual 35" scale and me don't agree, but it's light and balances great. i think it WOULD sound great if he had strings newer than 6 months on it. even with old strings it still sounds nice, but it's nothing i would trade my SSII for. (unless he'd build me one with a 34" scale.)

4. 35" scale is standard on the Elrick's, but he will do 34" or 36" if you want. I think Elrick's are some of the most beautiful basses around. And on another note, they are definitely unique looking. And they are available in the same style of body with dual cutaways.

www.elrick.com

Geoff

5. I've never played the single-cutaways--I often wondered about the one you saw. But I've owned a 5 and 6 of the regular Bolt-on Deluxe Elricks (before they were called "Gold Standard"), and they were both excellent instruments. The only negative was that the lower horn tends to dig into your leg a bit when you're sitting, though it gives great upper-register access. (I understand the new "Evolution" series changes the shape alittle to eliminate that problem.) Rob Elrick is also a great guy to deal with.

Mike

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well in that case, maybe i'll hit him up for a quote for my next fretless. ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a semi-hollow NJS fretless 5. Excellent bass.

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Elrick Gold Standard 5.

........any questions?

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Where did you hear about Rob's new design? Any place that's got pics? Rob hasn't updated his site for quite some time.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    these are e-volutions off Electric City Music's website (great store BTW)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I want to buy one this summer... How are the necks on the 5 strings? I absolutely love G&L necks ... do they tend to be thin... or thicker (I prefer the latter)

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    super thin

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Bear in mind the body setneck joint on Foderas is conspiciously similar to Ken Smiths. Coincidence.

Hmmm....

:)

14. Hardly coincidence, since Vinnie Fodera was one of the folks originally building the Ken Smiths.

Mike

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know, Mike... that's why I mentioned it;)

16. I should have known you'd know as least as much high-end bass trivia as I do! :)

Mike

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie also used to work with Mr. Spector. In case you were looking for more trivia.:D

18. Yep, I know!

MIke

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Kind of amazing when you figure there's still a relatively small group... most of the big guys have been at it since the 70's.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    musta been all that weed....

woah, tough crowd.... :D