any else fed up with music in general?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ross, Apr 5, 2001.

1. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    to be honest i dont really like any of the music of today or of the past.I mean i used to like lots of stuff but i kinda got sick of it,i never really liked metal, punk is alright ,rock kinda doesnt exist in its true form anymore,with rap some is good but most is bad,pop is pop,funk is dead and tiring,disco and club music isnt great,60s blues rock isnt too great,jazz has nothing unique anymore what is out there that is gonna spur interest to music again or at least to me?
  2. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Go get yourself some Thelonious Monk.......
    strap on some headphones.... and go for a ride.
    This isn't comin' from a huge jazz junky- but I tell you what, if you don't learn somethin from any of his may want to check your pulse!
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Darrell, great first post!
    Welcome to Talkbass!

Ross, he's probably right. Ok, we've never before had so much bad music as today, but the same goes for good music.
    You just have to dig in the mud to find your treasures.
    Nobody can recommend anything for you, you have to go out and find it yourself (or perhaps even within yourself?).

BTW: What is rock in its 'true form' ?!? ;)
  4. I know this is going to be nothing but a repeat. But I must also agree with Darrell, and JMX. I also find that some Gregorian chant helps out when I am feeling like there is nothing worth listening too. But you aren't the only one who feels like that.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ditto Darrell, JMX, and CurlyB...IOW, "There's a pony in here somewhere!" :D
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think most musicians easily tire of "popular music" go try to find someone that isn't being played on the radio, check out different styles of music and artists that are different from what you usually listen to. Try some Bluegrass or folk music. Stay away from pop, disco,new country, mtv and all that depressing teeny bopper music....

Steve Earle and John Prine usually do the trick for me. Oh yeah and anything Bela Fleck plays on.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    cb56 gives some great advice here. I can second that from recent personal experience. I've been gigging steadily for nearly 25 yrs now, and in the past couple of years, I've found myself becoming increasingly jaded with all the posing, formula-driven antics of popular music. This is just as prevalent in new country music as it is in rock. I've always had a strong interest in roots music, so I took the plunge and bought an upright bass and have taken a headlong dive into bluegrass and some other folk-type stuff. I'm having a blast! The prevailing positive atmosphere in bluegrass is really refreshing, and the welcoming attitude of the people involved is just great. None of that competitive crap...just a good time, and the money ain't bad either!

My advice: take a complete left turn from your usual, or take a break in general. I quit doing music full-time because it's a completely different animal when you HAVE to do it. The luxury of deciding when and where you play makes all the difference in the world.
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Every time I get tired,bored,disallusioned with the state of music (or MY state) I seem to have the same remedy every time...go back to the roots.

My first love is the blues but even Stevie Ray wears thin after awhile and I go back to T-Bone Walker,or Sonny Boy 1 or 2 or, if I'm really in a funk, Bill Broonzy. But frequently its not roots blues thats does it. There's Rockabilly (Gene Vincent), roots country (take out the yodel and Hank Williams was a genius), roots R&B (early James Brown - before I Feel Good),and even, as mchildree says, bluegrass (you really should discover Bill Monroe).But my most consistent funk breaker is late 40's to late '50 bebop jazz (Coltrane, Parker, Davis).

Funny how stepping back helps me to move ahead.
  9. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Ever seen the film Starman? Alien crash lands on earth and has to get to a crater in Arizona practically dead when the mothership appears and beams a red light down to rejuvinate the alien.

The light for me is a blues called, "Red House," done ever so skilfully by Jimi Hendrix (Polydor Mono if possible). You just need to find your light.

Or, try this, Cannonball...a young horn band with Rap and scratchin and monster swing. This sounds contrived but they really pull it off.
  10. I only listen to Primus, so I really am not up to date on modern music except for that I hear about here.
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Sometimes you do need a break from all sorts of music. Go for a walk and listen to nature and cars passing by on the road and stuff. Who knows, maybe that will inspire you. Either that or find something you would never hear on the radio anywhere. Try to track down The Three EP's by The Beta Band, or something by Kraftwerk, or Belle & Sebastian. I always find comfort in early Bob Marley songs (Try Me, Small Axe, Put it On, It's Alright). I don't know if that'll work for you but those are my comfort songs.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There's a lot of new, good, music out there. Good musicians and songwriters didn't all just recently die.

The thing is that the recording companies have too many people's ears in a stranglehold. They find it more profitable to sell image and product, which is why so many musicians in bands look alike these days. Many musicians refuse to be bathed in tatoos, dye their hair, get piercings, and wear black knee-length short pants 7 days a week.

One of our younger TalkBassers put up a thread here yesterday about his recent discovery of Jeff Berlin and how awesome he is. Jeff doesn't play the "product" game, and, consequently isn't as well known, in terms of what the radio plays/TV chooses to show/sheer CD sales/downloads. Yet, he rocks the socks off most mega buck bassists in bands in heavy rotation on radio/TV.

Small radio stations, (particularly college and not-for-profit stations), websites like this, or even going to a genre you like at cdnow and listening to stuff you never heard of, are a few ways to get exposure to music beyond what "the machine" gives us/wants to give us, (usually, the music that sucks).
  13. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Whenever i get depressed, every kind of music sucks. except.....REGGAE!! i am under the power of the mighty mighty reggae.
  14. yeah most of the music that is popular is crappy. But hasn't it always been that way for the most part. The good music is still there you just have to look harder for it. Fight the good fight and rock on my brother, or jazz on, fusion, funk, blues, whatever
  15. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    I mean how many people get started in music with very complicated works.honestly,i started to learn bass to get into a band and get chicks but, if that was just really the spark its if didnt get so much enjoyment out of it then i wouldnt do it.So i basically had no bands that made me wanna play or motivate me.if i am going back to my roots i gonna have to listen to my ray stevens and weird al tapes and other comic songs that was my earliest music that i liked.Later on i expanded my music horizons to many bands and styles including most of the above mentioned. however, i feel thats there's alot more potentional out there for music and yet it's really going nowhere
  16. To Stangg: Reggae rules, and Bob Marley is the man. Some of his songs have almost brought me to tears, and they definitely have profound meaning, and they are quite soothing.

I am quite fed up with pop culture. "Music," today is simply shallow and bad. I hate MTV rap and pop, and all the other prefabricated crap out there. I have found that the Best music around is either
    old(er) music like Bob marley, the doors, Sabbath led zepplin etc, or unknown jazz, or local. I have a jazz radio station near me, and i have heard some amazing music on that, and i have no idea who did it.However, my favorite music of all is Local. There is such a great scene here in the NJ/NY area! Im really talking about the hardcore scene, but man does it kick! We have great local bands like Headrush, GlassJAw, DizneyFist, and LOTS of other local bands that no one has ever heard of, and its great music. i would advise EVERYONE to really support local bands, but im sure you all do anyway!

I sure do like lotsa different music.. i got HC, Jazz, Reggae, Rock... all kindsa good stuff.. See how this negative post went positive? Wow, and it wasnt intentional. Horray for local music!
  17. BadSongNinja

Apr 9, 2001
    Or you could...

...get loaded and listen to some scratchy K-Tel records with your friends.
  18. Three things I would suggest.
    1. Once a week take a walk sit somewhere quiet and listen but don't think. (already said but great)

2. Go see some live music which is based mostly on improvisation if there is none get together with people and do it.

3. Don't dwell on little things which have no effect on you or the people around you.

All these things I practice each week and more except for the last one which I practice daily and it works for me it may not for you so that is where you should adapt certain things to your list so it does work but I genuinely think the first is often the best.

By the way I ain't no hippy!:D
  19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    music is rotted one note
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Music evolves. We can choose not to like the evolution, however.