Any Emerson Lake and Palmer Fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know why I like these guys so much...

I hate Keyboard solos. :eyebrow:

But I listen to their best of like twice a week at work. And what was that thread about the longest song you listen to on a regular basis? Tarkus.

Yeah and I have the self titled on vinyl. Fun times. Very crazy/all over the place.
  2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was a big fan of theirs back in the day. Tarkus was indeed a great album. Brain Salad Surgery worked for me too.
  3. Not to hijack, but the longest song I listen to regularily is Three Days by Janes Addiction. Friggin epic.

... and now back to your regularily scheduled thread topic.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Yeah, I'm a fan. "Pirates" is my favorite. Great lyrics.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig them, but like any good artist their cd's are impossible to find around these parts.

I've got their self-titled and Tarkus.
  6. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    I've only ever heard Brain Salad Surgery - and I only bought it because the gatefold LP looked cool...
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My dad just loaned me their Greatest Hits CD which I put on my iPod and I love 'em!

Prog to the max.
  8. YES! I own all of the vinyl up till Works Part II and on cd I have BSS , Tarkus and Self Titled. Kickass band, they are the only wankers I love to hear wank.

My favorite is BSS , I love each of the songs on it and the Epic kicks ass.

Greg Lake is a really good bassist and he never gets the credit he deserves. Lets see some of you play the bass part to Karn Evil 9 while singing.

Originally Hendrix was gonna join the band, that is of course till he died.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Another fan here, but got to know them only like 12 years ago. The trio is totally amazing. And Keith Emerson is a crazy guy. Just watch him wiping his a** with his ribbon controller in the "Pictures At An Exhibition" video! I have the excellent 2-CD compilation "The Atlantic Years", the live "Welcome Back My friends To the Show that never ends" (originally released as a triple LP) and "Works vol. 1", plus the PAAE video. Great stuff! :cool:
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, I forgot, I have Brain Salad Surgery. I remeber when I was a kid, looking at my dad's records and thinking... damn, these guys must be evil! :D
  11. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Yup. Works, Vol I & II, ELP, Pictures at an Exhibition, Welcome Back My Friends...., a couple compilations, Black Moon and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.

Don't forget Emerson, Lake and Powell, and Three. Got those too.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey: What's up with Black Moon? Greg's voice sounds like he... went through puberty... or something. Doesn't he sound much deeper on this album?

Lake is a great bassist, trying to find space to play around Emerson's insanity would be a challange for any bassist.

Oh yeah, I have this album too! Jeez, I keep forgetting what I own. :D
  13. For more Greg Lake insanity, listen to him follow Fripp note for note in 21st century schitzoid man .
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I actually feel Lake was holding King Crimson down. I think if they would have stuck with him, they wouldn't have had the lasting career they did. He stuck them in the "hippie prog" group. I dunno.
  15. There is some truth to that in which he didnt want to explore as much as Fripp did.
    He is still the best vocalist theyve had.
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Mmm, I'd argue that...

I think Belew has such a fantastic range of style.

He did have the best lyrics though.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can get into some ELP.:cool:

Matt, I agree with you about Adrian Belew. I love his vox. Not to take anything away from Mr. Lake.
  18. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA

It was around 85 or 86, and I was a 16 yr old guitar player then (I know, I know but I later came to my senses and switched to bass!). We bought tix b/c Yngwie Malmsteen was the opening act. We arrived at the arena to find out that ELP had gotten into an argument with him and fired him off the tour. We could not get a refund b/c it was just the opening act. Now, here's the kicker. Did they get another opening act. No! They replaced him with a 30 minute Max Headroom video. Yes, Max Headroom for the longest 30 minutes of my entire life!!!!!!!!! That showed me that these 3 guys could give a crap to put that kind of garbage on! Then they came on and played 2 hours with about 1 1/2 hours of keyboard solos! At the end, he smashed his organ (lame guitarist envy if you ask me). Sorry to the ELP fans but I'll never forgive those guys for the Max Headroom bit.
  19. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Big fan here from way back. I actually saw them in 93 or so at the Mann in Philly. I guess it was the Black Moon tour. They opened with the entire Tarkus suite, and played most of their best stuff. All three of them, great showmen. Mindblowing...
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Max Headroom is unforgivable... I'm sorry to hear that.