Any entomologists or biologists on here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I'm about two years into a BS in Materials Science & Engineering, but lately I've been wondering if it's really for me. It's some cool stuff, actually, but it's a lot of work for something I'm not too sure I'd be happy with in the long run. (Unless I ended up working on basses, somehow :)) Just in case I decide to change, I've been thinking about what I'd change to (since obviously I don't want to bail if I have no alternate plan).
    I've developed an interest in certain types of wildlife-- primarly aquatic creatures and also various insects and arachnids. (I used to keep tarantulas and fish and such as a kid, and I'd forgotten how cool they were). I am trying to learn more about related professions-- what job availability is like, where people are employed, what they do on their job, if an MS or PhD is necessary, etc.
    If you're in the know on this, post or PM your thoughts to me; I'd appreciate it. My parents are all about "You'd be more financially set as an engineer." but I don't like that logic if I knew there were good job opportunities in another field I might enjoy more. (and I ain't bagging on engineering, it's neat, too).
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I started college as a Business major. After dropping my business classes consistently and getting top grades in science classes without studying, I realized maybe Biology was my bag. I have a biology degree focusing on estuarine biology. Very interesting stuff and I loved it.

Here's the problem:
    There is no money in biology unless you AT LEAST have a masters degree. Even then, there are few jobs and the pay sucks. Private companies have a difficult time making money off of bio-centric ventures and the gov't (at least in USA) doesn't give a damn about bio issues, hence the lack of grants and gov't funded projects. If you are ok with this prospect of limited $$$ compensation, which many bio lovers are, it is a great field to venture into. I got into hi-tech about one year after college when I decided I didn't want to work in a lab doing repetative tasks with glassware for pennies. So, the moral of the story is: study what you are interested in. You can always do something else. The key is to get that piece of paper. Unlike 30 yrs ago, people often change careers several times and end up working in a field they never studied for.