Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Exercise you recomend

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Juan Frias, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Juan Frias

Juan Frias Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Argentina, Bs. As.
    I was wondering if anyone can gave me some advice, i usually practice scales in order to fasten the way i play, is there any other way you recomend.
    Thanks

2. do some research on playing intervals.
    it is still doing scales but in a diferent way.
    i.e. thirds in C

play C E D F E G F A G B A C

this is only one example there is more info on this site and on the web about this.
    if you can get this stuff down it should open up a lot of fingerings for you.

good luck.

besides that i would recomend the Squat for exercise no movement uses more muscle groups at the same time. :D

3. edited by Pacman - keep it on-topic

4. Juan Frias

Juan Frias Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Argentina, Bs. As.
    thank´s for the advice i really appreciate.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's an exercize that I highly recommend, and I think this gets overlooked WAY too often:STRETCHING!!!

Stretching will help the blood flow in your hands better and allow you easier access to larger fret-spreads with less strain. Also, stretching will help you avoid medical issues such as Carpal Tunnel!:eek:

A good stretching exercize that'll take you about 2 minutes, at most, is to start with your right arm straight out in front of you. Keeping your fingers roughly straight on that hand, point them upwards towards the ceiling. Then, gently take your left hand and pull the fingers on your right hand backwards until you feel a little stretch. Don't overdo it so you don't stretch out any tendons and ligaments. Hold this for about 10 to 15 seconds.

Another exercize that you should do is to clench your fist as hard as you can (or a tennis ball) for about 15 seconds. Then, open your hand as wide as you can for about 15 seconds. Repeat this a couple of times.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's a second for stretching. It's often overlooked but so important to not only preventing injury, but helping with dexterity and speed.

7. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    When u play scales always start slowly and work up the pace as u go. Start playing 1/4 notes at say, 60bpm and slowly work up. If u do this regularly you will feel the difference. Also try hammer-ons/ pull-offs at a slow pace and work up.

8. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    The best way to increase the speed of your playing is to start slow. Using a drum machine or metronome, set it at a comfortable speed, and play whatever exercise you're working on with good clean articulation, time, etc. Then, increase the speed a bit. If you can't play with good time and articulation, that's where you need to work. When you get it, increase the speed again. By keeping track of where you're having problems, you can work on those speeds and finger movements.