1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any expatriates on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Visirale, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm currently majoring in International Business and Economics. That being said, I'd love to GTFO of America for a while sometime after I start working (plan on working for a few years locally, then going to get my MBA) for real. I know I'll return here to raise my kids as I have way too many family ties and emotions tied in here... but who knows how my decisions could change as our volatile economy continues on its current path.

I've traveled quite a bit and have enjoyed everywhere I've been. Does the allure of a foreign place/culture fade once you're living your daily life there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Born in NZ, lived in Aus now live in the UK. The allure of the foreign place fades, but it doesn't mean its not way cooler than the place you came from anyway! :D

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I lived in Poland for a while, even France for a short time.
    The allure fades, yes. It gets replaced by this sort of familiarity but that's not to paint it in a negative way, it just gets to be part of your routine.
    I utterly loved my time there, but I still like good ol' USA best :)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My fiance was an expat for several years, based out of Spain and Italy but working throughout the Mediterranean. She is considering a good-paying gig in Hong Kong right now, which would mean a total uproot for me and the dog etc., but I'm kind of looking forward to it if it happens. It would be a two-year commitment if she takes it.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'd be into it.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    IMHO, it's better to try it out than to wonder when you're old what it would've been like.

7. I was very close to it in '93 after a 4 month stint in Europe (mostly Italy). The good old USA lured me back.

8. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    I'm in the process of applying for permanent Visas to a couple English-speaking countries around the world that aren't the US...I'm young enough to make the switch without having to drag a family through such an event.

Get out while the getting is good? ;)

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've been living as an expat for 10 years this month. We left for a two year adventure and never went back. Dragged two young daughters with us.

Originally from Canada. Lived in Bahrain for three years. Switzerland for the past seven. No plans to return. Love living in Europe too much.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bob..when we were faced with the written job offer and trying to decide, my wife and I sat outside around our firepit with a glass of 18 year old Macallan. She said, "Do you want to be sitting in your rocking chair at age 75 saying to yourself, I wish I had gone to Bahrain when I had the chance."

That cinched it.

Never looked back. It gave our family a fabulous life experience. We learned so much about ourselves, our host countries. In hindsight, it was the best career move for me and the best high school opportunity for our daughters.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's good to see life as an adventure.