Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any experience painting pickguards..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by solongstinktown, Apr 12, 2004.

1. solongstinktown

solongstinktown

Mar 7, 2004
    so i bought a new mexi-jazz bass that's black and white and that's just too.. uh, black and white for me. i wanna paint the pickguard because i have had very little luck finding any replacement ones i like. has anyone here done this before? does spray paint work well on those kinda surfaces? should i sand and prime it or what!?

thanks in advance......

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well I painted mine using green spray paint, but mine wasn't ever meant to have a solid colour and is dotted. If you do go and spray paint it, I will give you the adivce that I do know for sure. Get some sort of clear seal spray as well. Putting a clearcoat on it will seal that paint in and depending on which you buy can make it glossy or flat.

I honestly wouldn't advise trying it unless you don't mind parting with you guard if the experiment fails ;)

3. solongstinktown

solongstinktown

Mar 7, 2004
    yeah see, that's why i mentioned sanding it, but it's not wood..? i dunno if that'd help or not. a primer maybe?

..and yes, the clearcoat is definetly already a plan. i paint lots.

if it fails, i'm just going to buy one. anything is better then b&w for me..