1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any experience painting pickguards..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by solongstinktown, Apr 12, 2004.

1. solongstinktown

solongstinktown

Mar 7, 2004
    so i bought a new mexi-jazz bass that's black and white and that's just too.. uh, black and white for me. i wanna paint the pickguard because i have had very little luck finding any replacement ones i like. has anyone here done this before? does spray paint work well on those kinda surfaces? should i sand and prime it or what!?

thanks in advance......

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well I painted mine using green spray paint, but mine wasn't ever meant to have a solid colour and is dotted. If you do go and spray paint it, I will give you the adivce that I do know for sure. Get some sort of clear seal spray as well. Putting a clearcoat on it will seal that paint in and depending on which you buy can make it glossy or flat.

I honestly wouldn't advise trying it unless you don't mind parting with you guard if the experiment fails ;)

3. solongstinktown

solongstinktown

Mar 7, 2004
    yeah see, that's why i mentioned sanding it, but it's not wood..? i dunno if that'd help or not. a primer maybe?

..and yes, the clearcoat is definetly already a plan. i paint lots.

if it fails, i'm just going to buy one. anything is better then b&w for me..