1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Experience The AC-3 Acoustic Simulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by toomanybasses, Apr 26, 2009.

1. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    I have an interest in playing with the Boss AC-3 Pedal.

Does anyone have any comments on how well it works with Bass? Does it produce enough of an acoustic effect?

Should I just buy an fretless acoustic bass and forget the pedal?

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    In my very limited experience, don't use it on bass. I only tried it out in a store, and it thinned out the sound. It's designed for guitar, not bass. And doesn't do guitar all that well IMHO.

3. This is a pedal I'm still just a bit intrigued with- I can't see it doing a convincing sim in *standard* bass territory, but applying it to chords, above the 12th frets on a 6, hmm...
    I've heard them make a Strat sound like a Martin(to my deaf ears, anyway). Sadly, the only way to really know would be to go down to GC w/my 6 and try it. Can you see the clerks & 12-yr-old wankshredders faces? :confused::eek::(:rollno::mad::spit:

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I have one and I use it (rarely) for the "body" effect. Add a sponge or paper towel under the strings to mute, adjust your playing technique and you can get something kinda, sorta, a little like an upright tone.

5. I would not use one for faux-DB tone- I can get close enough(again, for my bad ears)via technique & EQ tweak. I'd want it to throw fake-guitar parts onto song sketches, using a looper & other effects to compose and record ideas. I also have a cheap nylon-string guitar w/a piezo, so I can do the real thing, but I like the idea of sitting down w/my 6 & a bunch of pedals, & mixing up a stew of very different parts. :cool:

6. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks for the input