1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Experience with a Canon FS100 camcorder?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 10, 2009.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Simply put, my brother and I graduate the same day. My mom's coming to my college graduation and my dad's going to my brother's graduation from law school. We have a family friend with one camcorder, and we'll be purchasing a second so my mom can record mine. We need a camcorder that's easy to use for her, but good quality, without breaking the bank.

I've tried out the FS100 at Best Buy, but haven't had any experience with it with a computer, video out to a TV. Looks great on the 2.7" LCD, but after that, it's hard to tell what the image actually looks like.

Anyone have an FS100, FS10, or FS11?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    everyone seems to love em.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've read some reviews online that people either love 'em or hate 'em. There seems to be no middle ground.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I just got one, been using it for a few weeks. Its pretty awesome, generally speaking. If youre just looking for a simple to use video camera Id say its definitely the way to go. Ive exported footage to my computer (a crappy old computer) and it looks good. Video out to the TV is good too.

Look on Amazon though, I got mine for $284 last month while they now retail anywhere from $350-$430

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nice, that's what I like to hear.

Do you need to use their software to convert the video? I've heard several complaints on that.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yup, that would be my one gripe with it. It uses Pixela's Imagemixer SE software to import the video from your camera and convert it to a file that will be usuable with other programs. Aside from that though, I have no complaints. It even has a 1/8" mic in port.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm... sounds more doable.

I think the prices actually went UP on these since the last time I was looking at them :meh:

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, my sister just yesterday or the day before, told me she was looking for a camera. I brought the webpage up and noticed a significant increase in price. If youre planning on getting one I'd say get it now before they raise the price some more!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The FS100 went up since the FS200 came out. Lower resolution sensor, but works better in low light conditions, which I don't anticipate. $380 for the FS100, $330 for the FS200.

Now I'm unsure which way to go.

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hmm, I did happen to see the FS200 for cheaper. It might be a better way to go, just to save some cash. It doesnt appear to be much different.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is there something like sdcopy for Mac?

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Wow Heavy Duty you can hear the stereo separation as well as the train goes by....nice!

I've been wanting to get a new cam as well to go with my new iMac...

Does this camera have the avchd format that everyone loves/hates? Anyone wanna trade there cam for an amp?

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Sorry I looked it up myself on Cnet. Standard Definition? Seem a pretty nice picture to me.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Picture can be washed out at times on the FS100 from what I can see, and it doesn't perform too well in low light conditions. BUT, that's fixed in the FS200 supposedly, lower resolution sensor, but should be faster and work better in low light.

I think it's worth checking out. I'll be heading to best buy to take a gander shortly.