Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any experience with FBB bassworks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kovachian, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    First things first; I apologize in advance if this has been beat to death at all, but my search didn't produce much.

I got a quote from Matt for $1800 for a fretless five'er. Honestly, is his work any good? His prices aren't exactly worlds above Dave Pushic's prices ($1045 from him) but I've learned of horror stories with DP so I'm wondering if the quality is higher with Matt Schmill. He seems like a good guy.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Matt Schmill is also a TBer! :rolleyes: His basses are very high quality. I'm sure other owners will chime in shortly. I'm surprised a search didn't yield much. There are many FBB fans on Talkbass; legions more than DP fans I believe.

Try this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1559147

I won't go into more detail as I'm currently selling an FBB. I would not hesitate to buy another however; I'm just want a different pickup configuration, and don't have much room for many basses with a baby on the way.

Marshall

4. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    You're Marshall, right? I actually inquired about your FBB not long ago. I was offering a strat plus cash remember? Small world I say. I'm actually glad you turned my offer down, as I've decided to give the Strat one more chance anyways.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Funny! :) That was you. I keep thinking about getting a baritone guitar...but I'm trying to keep numbers of instruments down. No need for me to be mediocre on yet another instrument... :meh:

Marshall

6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have owned 2 FBB's and they are definitely high quality instruments Matt is a super guy to do business with as well... you wont be disappointed with buying from Matt on any count...
    - Tom

7. I've never heard anything negative about Matt's stuff and from his posts in the Luthier's Corner section he is extremely knowledgable about all things related to bass construction. Everything I've seen here has been positive, so I'd have to say that if I were in the market for a bass in that price range that he would be one of the guys I'd be looking at.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played Ed's (pointbass) fretless 6 for a little while, I wouldn't mind spending more time with it. Very solid, very playable bass!

9. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Wow, so far so good. Going by my instincts it sounds as if Matt is the guy to go to for affordable customs.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    FBB basses are of astounding quality. Matt built my 6 and it is absolutely amazing. Its tone, construction, playability, and attention to detail are top notch. Matt is a great guy to deal with, too.

I HIGHLY recommend FBB.

11. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Ive played a fretted 5 string singlecut FBB and it ruled. Matt's basses are great. Very highly reccomended.

12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a fretless 6 that is my absolute favorite bass, ever (and I've been playing forever ;) ) ......

Top notch quality, nothing at all like DP and the issues surrounding those basses. Search under "Matt Schmill FBB" and you'll get much more info.

I'll be ordering a 7 from Matt in the next few months .... I highly recommend his work .......... :cool:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Havent found a headstock of his that ive liked yet.

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I live nearby FBB, just a town or two away, and I've been looking for an excuse to drop in and meet Matt in person. Everything I've heard and seen has been extremly positive, I've met a few locals who own FBBs and there are quite a few TBers who own them. As has been said also, Matt posts quite often (He'll probably chime in here eventually, but the CUP can make the builders a bit leary about posting about their businesses without clear questions to answer...) and he seems VERY knowlegable and genuinely helpfull.

15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Matt/FBB just moved to Maryland. Check below the specials @ the FBB website.

16. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks for the info thus far fellas, I think I've found the builder of my dream bass :D

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    DOH!!!!! I didn't know that. I only drive by there every few months or so, but I guess I've officially put off visiting for too long now... :bawl:

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never played one of Matt's basses, but I have been around TB for a long time, and have read a LOT about them in the past. And it has all been positive, so I wouldn't be afraid to do business with him.

19. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    When he had about 10-20 pictures on his website is the first time I ran into it. I've wanted one ever since. FBB was the first luthier that I ever considered purchasing from. The headstocks aren't really my bag but I'd really love to play one. If they play half as good as they look I'd buy one as soon as I got rid of some gear. :bassist:

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    BTW, if the FBB isn't the route you end up going, I'd have to give a huge 2nd vote for Nino's work ....... I played his basses at the NYC GTG and was completely blown away by the workmanship (way nicer than even the Sadowsky's, IMO)

If you want something different looking and unusual, but supremely playable, FBB is a natural choice. If you want a more traditional flavor but amazingly gorgeous and smokin', you can't go wrong with Nino ...... :cool: