any experience with fretless Sadowskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spc, Nov 11, 2004.

1. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anybody own currently or have owned a fretless sadowsky?
    I haven't been able to find many reviews of Sadowsky fretless stuff...Any opinions or comparisons to other high end basses (lakland, Jaco sig., whatever) would be cool, thanks!
  2. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I currently have a fretless Sadowsky 5 as my main axe and dig it. Swamp ash body with morado fretboard (yes it's lined) are its notable traits...and easily gets the type of mwah that I was looking for. Most importantly it is a dream to play...meaning its self motivational, once you start you can't put it down. I wish I could compare it closely to other high end basses but I ordered it in '99 (which is when I went and tried Laklands, Alembics, Modulus, Tobias, Roscoe and a host of others...these are great but you'll know when you find the "one") on mail order from Sadowsky and couldn't send it back. I've played many basses in my day and this one was a gotta have. Roger claims no need to coat the board and i use steel roundwounds (gotta have that sound, no flatwounds in my past or future)...just had the fretboard refinished with what i consider a workingman's regular playing schedule over 5 years, i.e. one gig per month plus rehearsal every week and late nights on the 'Rang. My only ponderance is that this is an active model with EMG's and it is easy (for me) to get into trouble with over powering my amp (i'm from a passive Fender background) ...but i'm sure this is true with most active basses. Don't get me wrong the Sad's pre is the balls but you need to be conservative.
    Here's the kick...if I had to do it all over again I would get another Sadowsky Fretless.
  3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I'm looking at a used fretless almost identical to yours, what would you value yours at? This one they are asking 2000, came down to 1500. It's in probably 8 out of 10 shape, a few nicks and dings and the board has a little wear from the roundrounds. Still plays and sounds great. But I haven't been able to find a lot of info on used sadowsky pricing.
  4. Ari

Dec 6, 2001

24F fretless 5 w/ ebony board.

I'm not a very good fretless player but I can honestly say this is a great instrument. I have had several people trying it and they were all amazed by its sound... except one of my friend who is a Fender fan and who was looking for a true Jaco-tone... he didn't find it here.

It's definitely more modern-sounding, which I prefer for fretless.
  5. I also have a 24F Fretless. Ash body, coated ebony board. The sound is very refined and clean. It records very well and sits well in the mix in live situations. Compared to the other fretless basses I've owned (Zon [both Sonus and Lightwave], Modulus, Tobias [pre-Gibson], Fender) and the ones I've played, the Sadowsky has less of a "signature sound" but just sounds "right" in the mix. It doesn't pull attention to itself, it just blends well with the other instruments.

YMMV, of course, but I would highly recommend a Sadowsky fretless.

Good luck!

6. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    New it's alittle over 3K...less than half (wow) is darn good in my opinion "if its in good shape".