Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Experience with Kustom 215H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm looking for a deeper, vintagier tone and am looking at a 2x15 to get me there. I know, everyone recommends a pair of 1x15's for portability, but ya gotta love the beast of a cab behind you. Has anyone had any experience with the Kustom 215H? Any complaints other than the fact that it's heavy as sin?

Any comparison to vintage Kustom 215's?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    If you're talking about the old Kustom's with the tuck 'n roll upholstery, then I can say that the build quality of the cab was pretty tight... When I used to play in church, one of the drummer's had, (still does), a nice looking, old Kustom rig... I can't really comment on the sound quality of the cab because it was paired with the matching head, which had some issues causing it to sound kind of thin. He wouldn't let anyone run any other head through it, which was a bummer. I even offered to split the cost of fixing the head up, but money was tight for both of us, so he couldn't take advantage of the deal...

FWIW, I got the feeling like the cabinet could move alot of air with a properly working head powering it...

I will soon be joining the 2X15 ranks... I recently purchased an empty Peavey 'fridge that housed a single rear-facing 15... Sucker's huge at 24 X 36 X 24... I am going to gut it, face it for a 2X15 baffle and load it with my Eminence 15LFA's... Yeah, it won't be the most portable thing around, but it will roar! That's another thread...

-robert

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As far as I'm concerned the old T&R Kustoms were THE 2x15 cab... but they UGLY. Wish I could get my mitts on one of those suckers too.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I know Bass Player recently reviewed the whole new line
    link

It doesn't really touch on many details on that cab per say but it gives a little info on what those guys thought.

I'll be getting my Sunn 215 next week I can't wait!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I read that one on the throne the other day. That's what gave me the idea.

:bag:

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The dimensions are monsterous. i wonder if it actually helps the tone or if it's just market speak...