Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any experience with p/mm basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzmonk, Aug 10, 2005.

1. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I'm having my jbass routed for a precision pickup soon. I started toying with the idea of putting a musicman pickup in the bridge after seeing K Johnson bass on the warmoth gallery page:
    http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/gallery.cfm?fuseaction=include_jbass

I'm thinking of completely passive electronics: single master volume and single tone control, and 1 swith for either p or mm (no blend) selection. I might add another switch later for mm single/series/parallel selection.

Are there any disadvantages to this configuration? Would the magnetic force be too great - enough to cause bass "stratitis"? Is there a reason why you don't see this configuration on the market? I've seen j/mm and mm/mm, but not p/mm.

Some of you may wonder why I'm mutilating my jbass. Simple - it's mim and it's just the most comfortable body and neck combo. And it gives me an excuse to get an american one later. :D

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm with you 100% on this, bro. I'm actually set to order one when I sell one of my current projects ...

I'm looking at using a Nordstrand NP-4 and a Nordstrand MM4.4 quad coil. The 4.4 will be set to tap a single humcancelling set of the MM pair, so it should be similar to a humcancelling J when switched that way.

All the best on your project,

R

3. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Well I just read in another thread that if the two were in their respective sweet spot, the pickups would overlap. I suppose the bass could be routed like an Ibanez where the split p is reversed and moved closer to neck so that the bass side of the split is in the sweet spot and the treble side is closer to the neck than usual.

Alas, I don't know who makes a pickguard for a reverse p, so I'll just have to stick to a standard p/j configuration. Besides, I already got a stingray. :smug:

Well good luck to your future project. Hopefully, you'll grace us with a review.

4. Heck, if you want a pickguard, buy some material from Warmoth, and trace a precision pg on it backwards, should work like a charm.

Man, i thought I was the only one toying with this idea! Actually, the Fender American Deluxe Precision bass has a P/H combo in it. However, I don't think the Fender Humbucker is a "real" humbucker, or at least, it's not the traditional MM style I'm used to seeing

~Ryan

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I really like the reverse-P/MM configuration. I went Bartolini:
    [​IMG]
    Ken

6. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    God almighty! I just felt a stirring in my groin :p . Thank you for that picture, spiritbass.

Deathbloomslife, what would you use to cut the tracing, a dremel or router? I don't have either, is there a non-power tool way of cutting it?

7. Just give warmoth a call, I'm sure they can do it.

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You're welcome, jazzmonk. I too am surprised that this pickup configuration isn't more common. The only production offerings I've seen were from Carvin and Ibanez. I've heard rumors that those Sadowsky reverse-p/j's don't sound too shabby ;) My Lakland spoiled me on having two pickups near the bridge...

9. I second the Warmoth suggestion, they should do it for you, hell they should be able to cut you a whole pickguard, not just the pickup cutout.

~Ryan

10. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX

It's little bit too late. I had already ordered their j/p combo jazz pickguard which has normal precision pickup orientation.

But maybe for the next project, I'll buy a warmoth body with pickups routed and the cavity in the rear so I don't even have to worry about pickguards.

Thanks for all your comments.

11. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    i see the MM/P config quite often here in germany recently as SANDBERG got good reviews for their california modell.

Attached Files:

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's mine: a Warmoth Dinky P, Mahogany with 5A Quilt top. That's a Fralin P (reverse) and a Custom Shop Duncan Alnico MM (a special order made before they started regular production). I'm running through an 18v OBP-3. The neck is a Warmoth J, all Macassar Ebony.

When you order this combination they would normally overlap, so Warmoth moves the MM back about 1/2". This is a great combination IMO - fat and punchy when used together and the flexibility of either one alone. It actually sounds more modern than retro/vintage, and can be brighter than you'd expect. I am enjoying this bass immensely.

[​IMG]