Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any experience with sansamp RBI and/or RPM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonki, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hiya

im looking for a preamp, since im selling my rig (cant use it, whining parents) i need a preamp to thicken my sound. ive heard great things about sansamp, im currently considering RBI, but especially RPM, due to parametric mid control.

any experience? and how is the price on them?

thanks

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have had both the RPM and the RBI. Personally I would get the RBI. But that is because I like its nastier sound. The RPM was way less bright and more polite sounding. Definitely better for mids than the RBI. Not just because of the mid shift but because of how the preamp is voiced. The drive sounds alot more compressed than the drive on the RBI. The RBI just gets really mean and nasty sounding but I am not too crazy about the mids. (although if your bass has good mids and you roll back the blend, you can acheive more prevalent mids).Together they make a hell of a preamp. To be completely honest, I am not that happy with the lows that these to preamps put out. YMMV But this was after I tried a BMAX-T with massive thick lows. In the USA you can get the RBI or RPM for roughly $300 apiece new. Used about $200 - $225 apiece.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have also owned both. I originally went for an RBI and RPM thinking the mid would help "punch" me through the mix, but the total tone character of the RPM is much darker and not as flexible as the RBI, I can still adjust my "punch" or twang by backing off the 'blend'. at the start I made the mistake of using 100% blend and makes the RBI too dark and muddy for alot of situations.

I have NOT used the rbi for recording or headphone only situations, but I think it would sound just fine, in fact a friend of mine fell in love with the RBI using headphones in the studio.

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE RBI DOES NOT HAVE HEADPHONE OUT, but I suppose you could use a mono adapter and use the 1/4" output with master level control.

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks for answers

here is my planned setup

bass --> sansamp rbi ---> ART Tube DI/mic preamp ---> PC(Echo Mia Midi) --> headphones (sennheiser hd280 pro)

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Which one would you guys recommend for getting an Ampeg SVT-2 pro a little more overdriven?

I will be getting an SVT-2 pro shortly and people have been saying that the overdrive isn't as good as its elder non pro version. therefore how would one of these measure up?

I just went to a show where the bass player was using 2 of these Tech 21 rackmount devices (no clue which one or ones) on top of his SVT classic head. He had a killer tone going for him. I think he toggles between the 2 depending on the song.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Were the Tech 21 units black or silver? If silver, they were probably the programmable one. He was probably using a pair of RBI's (or RBI and RPM) with the footswitch that toggles between 'em.

The RBI is great for overdriven sounds. There are probably better choices for full-blown fuzz, but the RBI can get pretty dirty. I've never tried the RPM.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Do a search, there's lots of RBI threads here.

I use and love the BDDI!

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The Psa-1 is a two in one guitar/bass unit. I have not used one, but I've heard many guitars say they really love the tones it can give them. they have about a dozen pre programmed bass settings that can be modified and saved.

The RBI can give an overdrive sound, but not a super fuzz tone...

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    They were black... I am sure that they were 2 of the same thing.
    Probably not programmable and used for different songs to give 2 distinct tones.

I am thinking they are 2 RBI's those are the ones better for overdrive sounds and that was a nice overdriven sound he had going on.

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious about pairing the two together.
    Are you able to switch between the 2 or have them both running/affecting the sound at the same time?

11. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Me too, the guy who I seen at the show is buddies with my guitarist. They just went on tour for a week or so but when they get back I am going to get ALL the info...

Alternating Footswitch for Bronzewood 60, SansAmp RBI, SansAmp RPM

see www.tech21nyc.com

it is an on off footswitch, No doubt he has these. I am guessing they both go into the amp and the on/off pedal selects which one/ones

12. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I'm playing an RBI for a year now and I wouldn't change it for any other preamp. The sound is just exactly what I want and what I was looking for all the years.

13. Fuzzbass

If you connect the footswitch to one and then a patch cable from the first one to the second one (footswitch out to footswitch in), then you can alternate between them ... that is, go from (RBI 1 active/RBI 2 bypassed) to (RBI 1 bypassed/RBI 2 active) and back. If you connect them both without using the footswitch you can use them any way you want (both active, one active one bypassed, etc), but you'll have to tweak the Active/bypass switches manually.

14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    so they can both be active at the same time?
    what benefits could be had by having them both on at the same time?

I wonder if the rbi with an eq would be cool?

15. Fuzzbass

The RBI is relatively inexpensive, and I've considered getting a second one for the same rack. As explained above, with a footswitch and short patch cable, you can alternate between two RBI units (or two RPM's, or RBI+RPM). It would be a cool way to go from clean to dirty, mellow to aggressive, etc.

Here's a thought. Right now, one of my racks contains SWR Interstellar Overdrive, SansAmp RBI, power amp. I run from the IOD to the RBI to the amp. The IOD goes into the rear input of the RBI, with the rear input pad engaged. This gives me a couple of options for tone switching:

1) I can use the IOD for clean, and activate the RBI when I want dirt.
    2) A less convenient alternative: I can set up the IOD for overdrive and the RBI for clean (or whatever). To avoid the IOD dirt, I simply switch my instrument cable from the front IOD input to the front RBI input. This works because patching into the front input of the RBI disables the rear input... so, I go from IOD+RBI to just RBI.