Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Experience With SWR Interstellar Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Donne Demarest, May 5, 2001.

1. I've been considering an SWR Interstellar Overdrive to use in the effects loop of my SM 400-S. The design seems different from other overdrive units and don't personally know anyone who owns one and haven't heard one either. Therefore I wondering what experiences anyone has had regarding the "Stella."

2. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I was told by the SWR rep where I work that the overdrive section of the Mo'Bass was a stripped down version of the Interstellar. Give that a try, its a pretty nice overdrive. BTW, I've never heard an interstellar either, so I can't really verify his statement.

3. I own both an SWR IOD and a SM400S. First of all, don't try the Mo' Bass distortion as a reference to the IOD. IMO, they don't have too much in common. The Mo' Bass has more of a buzzier sound, which I don't like. The IOD is so much better, and can sound similar to an SVT, but the IOD won't really shine until it is running hot (takes about 20 minutes or so...). I can't explain it, but it just sounds better after the initial warm up time. Now as for running the IOD in the fx loop of the SM400S, it doesn't do it for me. The SM400S is setup so the fx loop comes after the master volume. So by turning up or down the master volume, it effects the signal to the IOD, which can vary the overdrive. I personally set it up so the IOD is a preamp and use the SM400S as a poweramp. Anyways, the main point is the IOD sounds awesome and helps really cut through in live situations.

4. Sounds so good just straight into your fx loop return. Bypass your preamp (whatever make) and just use the 'Stella straight into the power section of your amp. Even with the limited eq options it'll beat the pants off most competitors I'd say.