1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any experience with the J&D RM6 Essex-style bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stealth, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Last time when boredom hit me, I went out for a stroll through one of the local music shops and I encounter this little piece of work for a meager 420 USD...

http://www.jandd-guitars.com/jd-rm6.htm

Now, I've been GASsing for a six-string since I first laid my hands on a bass, and the one bass that was on display there had (as far as I can tell) a perfect neck, the strings are fairly widely spaced (just enough IMO), the active pickups have a really punchy, cutting sound and overall the only thing that worries me is the fact the neck pup is a single coil with considerable hum. (then again, the shop is located near a city railway line which gives out plenty of hi-frequency noise... but that can be fixed with insulating copper tape, right?)

Would you ever consider this? It's obviously nowhere near a Bongo (which has been my GAS source ever since it came out), but I really am interested in getting this puppy.

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Any more takers on this? The bass won't be sold too soon (as the shop's buyers usually go through the fours and even the fives don't get bought too often), but I'd really appreciate an opinion on it.

4. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    How bad do you want the Bongo? To me it looks like a good way to try a decent 6-string but I think you need to assess your want and your budget.

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    My main concern is getting a six-string of any sort and learning how to play the beast - so far, with each "incarnation" (four and five) I took aim for something affordable and easy to play - if a low-priced six helps me learn to play a six-string, the Bongo can wait.

6. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Then get the J&D RM6....

7. Maybe buy that bass guitar... :D