1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any experiences with the 70 Resissue P bass pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, May 7, 2015.

1. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I'm putting together a parts P bass to replicate my beloved yet road retired 73 P bass. I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with the 70 reissue pickup. I know there is an MIA model and I found the pickup on ebay for 99.00 and a CIJ which I've seen on there before but not lately.
    Does anyone have any experiences to share? How would these pickups differ from some of the other P bass pickups. My 73 is pretty bright with an ash body and maple neck. Has a lot of highs and high mids and not as much bottom.

2. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Interesting question.
    70's P is not a tone that many people are looking for and consequently the pickup makers have pretty much ignored that concept. There are plenty of 60's P or vintage labeled pickups but not much from the 70's. That being said I have two suggestions for you.

1. Etienne Lauzon is a small Canadian pickup maker that made me a couple of pickups that were terrific.
    He also made a 70's P for another member. Here is the link:
    New Precision Pick-up Day! (audio clip inside) | TalkBass.com

2. DiMarzio makes at pickup called the Model P. This pickup is often associated with the 70's tone. I must forewarn you however that it is a hot high output ceramic pickup and it will be very different from your 73 P which was Alnico V. DiMarzio also makes a pickup called the Area P which is made of Alnico II. This pickup will have the somewhat limited bass, lots of highs but it should sound more 60's than the stern, somewhat hard tone of the 70's.

Last you could buy a used 70's pickup but I fear you might have to pay big money for something that should not have to cost you more than $100, IMHO. Also to be considered, matching the tone of a pickup is only matching part of the tone of an instrument. 70's P basses tone is often the result of the heavy bodies, big necks, thick finishes which gives them that kind of hard hitting tone. Trying to match this tone with the pickup alone might only get you partially there.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The CIJ 70's RI pickup is simply the pickup that came in the RI bass...not so much a custom replica pup with similar specs as the listing would imply. Here's some that are probably closer to what you're looking for:

"70's Clone" P-BassĀ® Pickup

CS P Bass 4 String set

(The D. Allen's look interesting, but they go a little thick on the cliche marketing lingo for my tastes...probably great pups.)

4. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Petrus61: good call on the Mojo Tones. I forgot about these pickups. I will give some kudos to these guys for putting some online demos. Too many pickup makers just put out their products without a sound file or a video. Kind of my pet peeve with pickup manufacturer: fork out $200 on a pickup on pure trust and no return policy!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I have no experience with David Allen's P bass pickups, but I have a set of his strat pickups in one of my guitars, and they're hands down the best I've ever played. FYI and all.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I did this same search awhile back.
    Back in the 70's I bought a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 as it was supposed to sound better than the original pup in my 73P
    It sounded identical
    Other threads have echoed this as well as mentions of Fralin's (sometimes with a slightly hotter wind like 10%)

OTOH, I have found the Dimarzio model P's have higher output and are darker sounding
    No experience with the Fender replacements

7. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I've used Dimarzio before and I like them but they lack the warmth that Alnico 5 magnets deliver. I actually used the pickup that was in my Modern Player Jaguar bass and it sounds pretty good.
    I'm going to stick with it for a while.

8. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I tested my DiMarzio Area P with your question in mind and that pickup is really good sounding. Priced around $60 it's the best value vintage style pickup I can think of. Is the tone typically 70's? Hard to say, it's hard to encapsulate a decade in one tone. That being said paired with the right bass and the right strings it would make a good rendition of the 70's P basses I had the pleasure to play. I actually played a 72P Olympic White at the Chicago Music Exchange that was great sounding and it smoked their 65 P basses IMHO.
    Great store and great staff by the way, highly recommended. I would rate them as the best customer experience I have had in a bass store.