Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any F Bass Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 30, 2001.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

After shopping around and trying over a dozen basses, the F Bass stood out as a unique and very musical instrument. When I found a great deal on one, I couldn't say no. In addition to a MusicMan Stingray 4, I now have a F Bass BN5 (strung with a high C).

I was wondering if anyone else on the forum plays one and has any suggestions from long term use?

LeonD

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own one, a 28 "fret" fretless. The old model. Very nice bass, great sound, play great. I loved that bass. I still think (untill I found a new one) that F make the best fretless on the market right now.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to mooch in on your thread, LeonD, but F's don't come up too often, and since I can't try one out locally, I was wondering - did you find it had, like a "magically awesome" low end, say, on the E and A? With so many "beautiful sounding" basses on the market, I was wondering if F's have a monster low end? (Heard they did from unreliable sources).

Don't they have finish-matching, wooden pup covers, too?

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Mooch away!

It was more than the low end that did it for me. After critically listening to a dozen basses over a couple of days the greatness tends to blend together. The salesman hands you the multi thousand dollar bass to try. After ten or twenty or forty minutes you give it back. Then he asks (like he knows the answer) "What do you think?" and his face drops when you say "Well, it's not really doing it for me." I was looking for an instrument that stood out from the others.

A lot of what I tried sounded really nice in an electronic kind of way; like I was hearing the electronics more than the wood of the instrument.

The F Bass sounded like a quality wood instrument. At first, I had the bass in passive mode. It was so resonant and dynamic, it sounded active. Once you kick in the active electronics, it takes the natural resonance and builds upon it.

The low end is wonderfully tight and deep. I've strung the bass with a high C specifically to play chords. The highs are clear, crisp and piano like.

Of the other basses I tried, I did like one Ken Smith (out of about five) and a used MTD. I thought they each had a specific great sound. The F Bass could come very close to those sounds plus had it's own sounds that the other basses couldn't even touch. The electronics are extremely versatile.

Both the pickups and electronics are made by F Bass and yes, the pickup covers are made out of wood to match the bass.

LeonD

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, baby! This is not a bass! This is ART, I tell ya! :D
    fbass5jon_whole.jpg

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks LeonD, for the informative and entertaining post, and Oysterman for the beautiful pic, (Jeez, I just love old school body design, and, yes, matching wooden pup covers....I feel faint....).

I read something like that and think, "Maybe I shoudn't go custom."

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    This is what used to be my F, before he made those wooden pick up :(

[​IMG]

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Yvon, whyd you get rid of it? Looks great!

I have to agree though, for true fretless sound, theres NOTHING comparable to a BNF-5.

9. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I own 2. A BN5 and a BN6. I think they're the best out there and I've played/owned many.

10. I agree. My F bass (5string fretless) is the best sounding fretless I have ever played. I have an early eighties model that I purchased from an old teacher. It sounds UNBELIEVEABLE in the studio!

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

ka-tet,

What is the reasoning behind owning two similar basses? Are they set up differently? Do you feel they sound different from each other? Or did you get them at different times?

LeonD

12. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    LeonD, I own a 6 string and a five string. That in itself makes them different, but they also sound different. The six has a slightly different voicing in the mids and the 5 has a fatter sound.

13. Hey Yvon!

My 5 string fretless is even older (the lower "pointe" looks like it's been cut off) and it has the wooden pick-up cover, though the color doesn't match the body as well as the recent bodies do. It has 29 "frets", passive pick-ups, which I prefer. The bridge is made of ebony and non-adjustable. The lower end is deep even with a 33-something inch scale.

I love it.

14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I very recently had a ceruse BN5 Studio but was disappointed by the somewhat heavy weight. Sounds and looks left very little to be desired. If I made more $ at bass playing I would have kept it.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thumper: How heavy was it? Was it ash or swamp ash?

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Christo, it was swamp ash. I didn't weigh it, but it was at least as heavy if not more than my burl myrtlewood body Roscoe. The Roscoe is my main bass, I wanted something a little lighter for the 3rd/4th set. I understand Fbasses are supposed to be light which is why I bought mine (internet buy). That said, I believe the Studio models may be designed heavy on purpose for the solid bottom.

17. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thumper, it could very well be that the Studios are heavier as they are trying to capture more of the traditional Jazz Bass vibe.

When I was shopping recently, I tried two different BN5s (non Studio). Both were noticeably lighter than everything else.

18. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Ya know, I never thought to look into an F bass, but after looking at the picture Osterman posted, I think I'm in love.

If sound anything like they look, move over Spector - daddy's got a mistress!:D

19. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    For anyone interested here's a pic of my F's

[​IMG]

20. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    ka-tet,

What model is the five string?

Like I said before, Man, I'm in love. What a badass looking bass!!:)