Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any F Bass Owners modified the Wiring?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Dec 18, 2004.

1. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got an F Bass with the standard vol/vol control configuration. Has anybody modified their F Bass replacing one of the volumes with a blend control? I'm considering doing this but I've not been too happy with the passive blend controls on other basses. They typically have very little variation other than neck/both/bridge. I know that F Basses can be ordered with the pup blend and a master volume. Anyone out there played both configurations that can compare the two?
    Thanks!

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Adrian has, you might contact him. I know he has his wired Volume-Blend.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I called George F on this & he responed "the vol/vol compared to the vol/pan is more open & clearer + a little less unmuffled".

It all depends on what you like & use. If you're constantly going between settings, maybe you should opt for a pick-up selector switch instead of a blend pot, just a thought...

~S~

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hmmmm. not quite sure if i agree with that. but of course, George IS building the basses- i , and many others , prefer the master vol and they sure sound open and clear to me! i have also A-B'ed them and heard no noticeable difference- but my ears have had many years of abuse... so what do i know?

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...give 'em a call...I'm only telling ya what he told me when I was/am considering his pre for an upcoming bass...

~S~

PS: Personally, I'd rather just have a 3 way switch

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Studio 5 was modified to vol-pan before I got it. I always preferred it to my vol-vol BN5 (sonically) but I'm not sure what to attribute that to. In operation I didn't hear a noticeable difference and for what I do I'd be happy with a 3 way switch too.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I'd rather have a pan option than vol/vol myself, but, if sonically there is a difference, I'm going with that...

Honestly, I don't blend my p/u's, either I run them both wide open or I solo the bridge, so a 3 way switch(or a 2 way for the matter) would be easier for me to work with live...

~S~

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My BN6 has the vol/vol setup, and it works and sounds great to me, but then 99% of the time, I run both pups wide open, so it really doesn't make much difference to me, I guess.

9. There's a fellow on another forum who has a totally insane F with an Alembic pre inside, in addition to the regular electronics. Note the little circuit boards running around the lower half of the cavity. It goes without saying that it needs an external power supply...

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    "less unmuffled" is right in theory, since with vol/vol each pickup has just one volume pot in its path, whereas in a vol/blend, each pickup is essentially going through two volume pots. (Each pot added bleeds off a little high end.) Though the difference may or may not be noticeable, or the effect is desireable (slightly warmer sound.)

11. This fellow is wyllie and is on this forum too, as on F Bass forum.... ;)

12. I have had BN6s with both configurations, and have a slight case of tinnitis, but I can't tell any difference between the sounds, I seem to be able to get any tone I desire. I do find the pan/vol a little easier to mute between songs and a little more accurate with the detente notch, :) when I want the back pu growl.

13. Probably. I don't follow too many of the F bass threads, and although it wasn't totally on topic I thought folks might get a charge out of seeing those insane innards (hope Wyllie doesn't mind).

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Actually, muting between songs is exactly why I want the blend/master volume configuration. I play at church and I'm always concerned about striking the stings by mistake between songs. In order to mute my bass I have to turn down both volume controls, which of course requires me to re-mix the blend that I desire between neck and bridge pup. I've also considered changing out the treble pot and installing one with a push-pull pot to break the signal to the output jack. I would think that would be an easier mod.
    Thoughts?

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    or a volume pedal....
    i like being able to control my overall gain and maintain my pup blend... master/pan is a God send for me

16. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I e-mailed F Bass and George sent me a wiring diagram and instructions to modify the Vol/Vol wiring to master vol/P/U blend. I'll attach a copy of the schematic in case any one else would like to make the mod. I think I'm going to give it a try. The blend control required is a 250K model. I much prefer the blend contol over Vol/Vol so hopefully it won't drastically alter the sound/tone.
    Thanks all! :)

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Joe,
    I have owned both vol/vol and vol/blend Fbasses, and I absolutley prefer the master vol/blend configuration for the exact reason you're talking about. In fact, I can't really stand the vol/vol set-up anymore. As far as a any noticable sound difference, I really can't think that there was any. Give me a call or email and I can talk to you more about it.

18. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    No worries here. People do tend to go a little bug eyed when they see that. I have, however, recently sold that bass. It now belongs to a gentleman back east.

As far as vol/vol or vol/blend, I don't know that it matters to me. I use a volume pedal (in church as well) and much prefer it to reaching for a knob on my bass. Great for fades or volume swells.

-Eric.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Amen to that!
    also, again, yes, a volume pedal takes care of things nicely and i like having them on steady gigs, for swells, and muting reasons, but on one nighters, it's just something else to have to haul and remember.

20. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Gene,
    I've had a tough time trying to LIKE the Vol/Vol configuration. I had heard a few others state that it did affect the sound negatively but from you and others are saying it should be fine. I'll shoot you an e-mail or give you a call about it soon. I'd like a update on the fretless progress anyway! :)

Adrian,
    Not a bad idea about the volume pedal. Is the Ernie Ball still considered a decent one? Any other brands you can recommend?
    Thanks