Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANY FAMILIARITY WITH PERKINS BINS (speaker cabs that is)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Aug 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Way back ran across some Perkins Bins at a concert and had forgotten about them after a little inquiry. Mainly just wondering if anybody has some experience, knowledge, inside dope on them.

I'm probably looking to build some but would be interested in purchase if it's within a reasonable distance of Charlotte, NC. Empty bins preferably.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, Perkins bins were typically used to carry the midrange in big 3-way PA systems. The usual setup back in the '80s (in my neck of the woods, anyway) was a double-scoop bass bin on the bottom, a Perkins bin in the middle, and a horn up top. Bands that played really big clubs would have two of these stacks on each side of the stage.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    From what I remember the way they had them rigged when I saw them was a pair stacked on towers each with a 15" Altec or JBL (different stories from different people) and folded horn. Outdoor venue with a few of these scattered around for the Charlotte Symphony. Sound was like a recording.

4. njn productions

njn productions

Aug 12, 2008
    pa
    I have 6 JBL Perkins bins for sale and 4 very large horns to go with them please contact NJN Productions Sound & Lighting for more information if you are interested at info@njnproductions.com