ANY FAMILIARITY WITH PERKINS BINS (speaker cabs that is)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Aug 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Way back ran across some Perkins Bins at a concert and had forgotten about them after a little inquiry. Mainly just wondering if anybody has some experience, knowledge, inside dope on them.

I'm probably looking to build some but would be interested in purchase if it's within a reasonable distance of Charlotte, NC. Empty bins preferably.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, Perkins bins were typically used to carry the midrange in big 3-way PA systems. The usual setup back in the '80s (in my neck of the woods, anyway) was a double-scoop bass bin on the bottom, a Perkins bin in the middle, and a horn up top. Bands that played really big clubs would have two of these stacks on each side of the stage.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    From what I remember the way they had them rigged when I saw them was a pair stacked on towers each with a 15" Altec or JBL (different stories from different people) and folded horn. Outdoor venue with a few of these scattered around for the Charlotte Symphony. Sound was like a recording.

4. njn productions

njn productions

Aug 12, 2008
    pa
    I have 6 JBL Perkins bins for sale and 4 very large horns to go with them please contact NJN Productions Sound & Lighting for more information if you are interested at info@njnproductions.com