Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any famous players here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragen, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I was just wondering if any of the people here is really famous. This is kinda naive question, though it would be interesting to get some answers.

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My band was famous briefly in Italy. We had 2 songs in the top 10 over there for like 2 or 3 weeks. We still get royalty checks every now and then.

http://www.mp3.com/I_AM_I

I am really famous in my own mind.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Famous?...Nah...
    Infamous?.....hmmmmm ;)

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    We're the glue, the stick that stirs the soup, the foundation, the one that holds it all together, the unheralded peice no one notices until its not there. we don't need fame, we KNOW how important we are! (at least that's what I keep telling myself!) BTW, bass players don't become "famous", we become "overrated"!

5. I make about $50 a month in royalties.
    So I'm a legend in my own mind. Does that count?

Herm

6. I'll testify to Acacia's BIG royalty check.As some people might know,Sean and I were in the same band back in Virginia.We had the priviledge of opening for some "famous" independent acts.So,we're almost has beens!!! LOL!!!!
    BTW,Sean is one solid bassist, since he has played drums for about 16 years.You lucky Stiff!!!

7. If you find a small pond you might be somewhat famous in that small pond. I was never famous but I have signed an autograph here and there.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dragen -

Here's a little test. Go up to any stranger and say, "Name a bass guitar player." Then think about what you mean by "famous". There are two famous bass players. McCartney and Sting. Most people don't even know they play bass, though. Even Jaco isn't famous. If you seek fame, put your bass away and go do something nasty with the President of the United States. That'll make you famous.

9. Well.. McCartney and Sting are well known, but the average person probably doesn't realize that they play bass.

If you went up to a random nonmusician and asked them for a famous bassplayer I bet most would say Flea.

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I don't think that the average nonmusician...has a clue as to who Flea is...
    when asked to name a famous "bassplayer"...they would quite likely answer....."Mark McGuire". :D

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Any asswipe should know of the following bassists, as well as be aware of the fact they play bass:

Sting
    Paul McCartney
    Flea
    Les Claypool
    Geddy Lee
    Phil Lynot
    Sid Vicious
    John Paul Jones
    Gene Simmons
    Michael Anthony

12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Any asswipe should know of the following bassists, as well as be aware of the fact they play bass:

Sting
    Paul McCartney
    Flea
    Les Claypool
    Geddy Lee
    Phil Lynot
    Sid Vicious
    John Paul Jones
    Gene Simmons
    Michael Anthony
    Nikki Sixx

13. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    When I asked I meant to ask those bassists who were known as a part of a band,too. Not just the individuals. I actually think that I want to be in a band were everybody is equal (same amount of money, fame ect), but that seems to be the stuff of dreams.