Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Fans of HBO's Deadwood Here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, May 24, 2004.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

HBO is currently running a new fictional series lightly based on fact called "Deadwood." It deals with the harsh life faced by those who searched for gold in the Dakota Territories and has such colorful characters as the legends Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok.

It is also people with some of the meanest, oneriest, disgusting, dispicable men and women the West has ever known. Some historians of the period have said while life depicted on this show is bad, actual life in Deadwood was worse! Very hard to imagine.

What fascinates me about this series is the dialogue.While it is peppered with some of the foulest language in any TV series, it also has dialogue that is almost poetic...sort of a Wild West Shakespeare. Calamity Jane was reputed to have a fouler mouth than any MAN in the territories! The actress who plays her (Robin Weigert) should get an Emmy.

The actor (Ian McShane) who plays the mean-spirited corrupt owner of the Gem Saloon (for want of a different word) should also get an Emmy. And the series should get an Emmy for best dramatic series. There are many other excellent actros and actresses in this series.

I have loved the Sopranos, but to me that pales in comparison to the saga of the settlers in this amazing, muddy, small pox-ridden and starcrossed town.

I hope some others here share my same view of the show. I hope I am not its only fan here.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sounds like good stuff but I don't have cable.

brad cook

3. Yeah, that's a great show. I only get to see it when I go over to my buddy's house who has cable and loves the show. I'm glad we live in the world of DVD, I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

The dialogue is great - sometimes it's totally contemporary, sometimes it's old-west poetic like you said, but it always works.

The opening credit sequence is a bit squeaky clean, but the show itself is definitely grimy. And Ian McShane's face should get its own special emmy!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Weird. I tried watching the first few episodes, and I thought it was completely lame.

It was as if they were trying REALLY hard to be bad. Everyone cussed all the time, no matter what they were talking about. Some guy was always smacking around some woman, which really offended me. They would show nudity just to show nudity, no real part of the plot. That didn't make sense. It seemed as if the producers went out of their way to show despicable actions, sometimes unnecessarily. For that reason alone, I quit watching.

-Mike

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Makes sense to me, but-
    If the show was going for authenticity...well, suffice to say, I didn't realize women were into waxing back then.

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i'de like to see it.

7. I think they used tar. ;)

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    (regarding authenticity, tar, etc.)
    They probably had the technology to shave unwanted body hair - if I understand history correctly, this was the technique used by women before waxing and hair removal creams were invented.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I actually caught the show for the first time last night. It was okay, but the jury is still out on if I would watch it regularily.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Deadwood? Oh you mean 'how-many-times-can-we-say-****sucker-in-one-show.' Yeah, it's a great show, but has anyone else noticed how many times they say that word in a given episode? yeeaassh.

11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I've grown to like it. A lot.

The first few episodes didn't really do much for me, especially since they killed off the most interesting character right away - Wild Bill Hickok. It seemed like Bullock was supposed to be the main character, and he was the most boring.

There's a couple of things the show does really well. The photography is excellent. They do a good job of building up the ambience of the camp to give you a sense of what everyday life must have been like there. And despite the hard-to-believe foul-mouthed slang they use, the screenplay is actually very good.

My favorite quote from the show was after the Gem got their new piano, Swaringen complains about all the "hoople-heads yodeling about their f***ing points of origin". Immediately I thought of NSBM. :smug:

12. I really should try to get into it, but the crowd with whom I watch The Sopranos won't shut up when Deadwood comes on. :spit:

They know to be quiet during The Sopranos.

Or they'll "go to sleep." :eek:

Mike :D

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I kinda like it. Swearengen is quite a character. I agree that the actress who plays Calamity Jane deserves an Emmy... she is excellent. I was also disappointed to see Wild Bill depart so quickly.

My favorite show on HBO is The Wire. The best show on television, imo. Season 3 starts in September!

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I would like to see Ian McShane who plays Swerengen play Count Dracula sometime. The man has such an evil face and I think he would make an ideal Dracula.

My husband and I both hated to see Wild Bill Hickok die so soon in the series. He was played so well by Keith Karradine. But I guess his early demise would be historically accurate. Hickok did not spend a lot of time in Deadwood.

I understand that this series has been renewed for at least one more season. I hope they can find some compelling new characters to replace the ones who are dying off from murder and disease.

15. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i was in love with the show after the first episode. at first i hated Swerengen very much now i think he is an amazing character but maybe that is due to great acting. the direction of the show is truly amazing i get physically ill everytime they focus on e.b he truly makes me ill i don't know why. i admit i found it strange they killed off wild bill towards the begining of the series but that just goes to show you the element you are in if wild bill couldn't survive deadwood than this place must truly be bad a**...i am planning a trip this summer to deadwood s.d anyone been??

16. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    One of the best shows on tv right now. Any show that pushes the edge of the envelope like this one does I love.
    Fo