1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any fans of Howard Stern and/or Bubba the Love Sponge?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ryan L., May 14, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Just curious to see if anyone here is a Sirius subscriber and is a fan of either Howard Stern or Bubba the Love Sponge, or both.

I have been listening to Howard since his Sirius debut, and also usually try to catch Bubba's show as well. Haven't gotten into Scott Ferrell (sp?) too much yet, he is a bit too fast-paced for me.

I think Howard has a great show now that he is on satellite and is uncensored. Anyone else??

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have been a fan of Howard for about 15 years now. I think his show is even better now on Satellite. It feels more easy going and fun now that he's not watching his every word. I can't really get into Bubba...I don't care about NASCAR and Hulk Hogan. When he does some of his stunts it's kinda funny, though.

3. I am envious. I listened to Howard on 'terrestrial radio' for a bunch of years up until he left. I miss his show. I am glad to hear it is doing well. 'Regular radio' is the big loser.

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I really liked Bubba when it first started, but I am with you for the most part. I get a kick out of Ned, and some of the stunts they pull, but I find myself going back to Howard's replay instead of taking in Bubba's whole show.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not a Howard fan, but if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have Phil Hendrie. Coincidentally, he'll be leaving terrestrial radio this year, too. Unfortunately he doesn't have any other gigs lined up and there won't be anything to fill the void!

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ferrell is on Sirius now? Now there's the reason I needed to go get one. I love Ferrell!

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, he is now on Howard 101, from 8 till midnight, eastern time.

I have listened to his show a few times, but I just haven't fully gotten into his groove yet. He keeps it fast paced and interesting, though. And has quite a unique voice.:)

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, never liked Howard myself. I listen to a chicago am talk station most of the time now.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Need to get yourself a Sirius Radio! Honestly, I never, ever listen to regular radio anymore now that I have satellite. No commercials (excpet a few on the talk channels) and tons of different music and not just the same playlists of the "hits".

10. I got burned out on Bubba living here in FL. My feeling is everyone on the his show was funnier than he was. Never could stand Howard. He can be funny at times but usually it's the same old S__T over and over and over :rollno:

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I swore up & down that I'd follow Howard to Sirius, but I didn't. The local affiliate which USED to carry Howard, dropped him before the end of the year & hired a rather entertaining knock-off version of Howard. So, I grew to like the replacement well enough, that I just didnt want to commit to the purchase.

The dudes air-name is Greg-O, & used to be stationed out of dallas until his station there dropped him. The dude's show is pretty funny, but I really do miss Artie, Fred & Robin.

When how would get pissed, he just came off like a whiney little bich & it would be like fingernails on the proverbial chalkboard to me. I dont really miss him... Greg O's been good to Columbus.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've been a Stern Disciple (sp?)n since the old NBC days in 1983. I base my life on his teachings :D Bubba is new to me, but I think he's great too. Ned rocks ! I'd love to do a cover of that Full Trucker Effect song in a band someday. Sirius really has the best programming, Stern and Bubba aside.

13. I would love to - but... ***music starts***
    money (blah, blah, blah)
    priorities (blah, blah, blah)
    kids need shoes (blah, blah, blah)
    bass needs strings (blah, blah, blah)

Come on, EVERYBODY SING! ;)

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember listening to Scott on KNBR in San Francisco a few years ago. I could pick up KNBR up here where I live in the evenings. I thought it was awesome to listen to Giants games up this way.

As far as Stern. Not so much. Making fun of disabled and mentally retarded people is not cool in my book.

-Mike

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Never could stand Howard Stern. Every time I ran across his show, radio or TV, it was potty humor. Last time I heard him it was something about going #1 or going #2. I'm too many decades past 3rd grade now for that stuff.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I stopped listening to Howard around the same time that Jackie Martling (aka "F Jackie") left. I think that's more than just coincidence.

Anyway... I am curious to hear uncensored Howard. I heard some of his early uncensored material, including some pay-per-view videos, and thought he was not funny at all... just plain vulgar. I actually liked that he had to work around FCC regs: I admired how he could be vulgar without having to say those same old naughty words that everyone's heard a million times.

But I think Howard's smarter now. Just before moving to Sirius, he said he was considering how to be uncensored without being way over-the-top. So, hopefully (for you Sirius subscribers) his show will actually be funny, rather than just sounding like a men's locker room. Well... his show will always be like that, but hopefully more clever. :p

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Great post! When I used to be able to get Howard here, I thought the funniest bits were the ones where he was just skirting "the line".

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Howard has been keeping in check by not going too over the top with swearing--with the exception of Artie, who is funnier when he is able to swear. The show does get pretty vulgar at times, but I get a kick out of most of it. Guess I haven't made it past the 3rd grade yet.............:meh:

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Honestly, I listen in the Jackie years & in the Artie years...

Artie is the bomb. Now that Artie has taken that slot, Jackie is quite forgettable...

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    "F*ck you Artie ! Hi Saaaalllll" LOL