Any Fans of Sean Malone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mega71, Dec 25, 2000.

1. Mega71

Dec 25, 2000
    Probably my favorite bassist, and my biggest influence on bass(Guitar is actually my main instrument).

Never hear too many bassists ever mention him.
  2. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Sean Malone: you bet! What a great player, and a good writer too.

Cortland and Gordian Knot are a couple of my faves. I haven't heard any of his other stuff, but I can't wait to hear what he does next. Great "stickist" too!
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really liked the cynic stuff - i wish i could find it on recording somewhere.

i saw them live in atlanta about 6 or 7 years ago, i think, and i was very impressed.
  4. Cynics' Focus album is one of my favorite metal albums.
    A few years ago I heard a demo they were working on with a new singer (a woman). It was very mellow, nothing heavy at all. I dont think it was ever completed though. As far as his bass playing, I think Sean has good knowledge of scales/
    theory as well as good intonation, but I cant get into him much because he doesn't move me at all.

[Edited by Zonplayer on 12-26-2000 at 11:22 AM]
  5. Mega71

Dec 25, 2000
    I think Tony Choy played bass on the Cynic demos prior the recording of focus. He wound up playing for the band Atheist after he left Cynic.

Focus is an incredible album. As a guitar player that album opened my eyes and is one of my all time favorites. That whole line up on that album is fantastic(IMHO).
  6. Progressive music vendor The Laser's Edge
    has Cynic, Gordian Knot, and Aghora CDs.
  7. Cycluran

Nov 27, 2004
    Sean Malone is definitely right up there with Lars Norberg of Spiral Architect and John Myung of Dream Theater in my favorites group. I love the Aghora CD, and it is technical and heavy in places. Cynic was way ahead of its time. I loved the music but the vocals just piss me off. He really shines no matter what else is going on in any given tune. Both Gordian Knot albums are kewl. Code is better than Emergent in my opinion. Cortlant was a little boring compared to everything else. I think its interesting he chooses to play a relatively inexpensive Ibanez GWB Gary Willis signature fretless 5-string. Great sounding bass. I wish they made it in a 6.
  8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The first time I saw him was at the 1996 Florida Guitar show at the now defunct Thoroughbred music, he came in for a
    Ampeg Clinic. He played a Fretless Kubicki,man was he awesome.What a great guy we hung out, He autographed
    a flier from the show for me.I run into him evry now & then
    at the Airport over the years.He used to post here now & then.Next time I run into him I will remind him to check in to
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    you should hear him play drums also
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have a recording of Invention and Grace... man, that cat has chops... I think that I was turned on to him, because of TB... THX.
  11. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I dig his work of Gordiant Knot!
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He teaches in Eugene, Oregon, at University of Oregon, while studying for his PhD, last I heard.
  13. Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    The Aghora-demoalbum is only good because of the basslines/basswork. The vocals suuuuck BIGTIME! BLAH!
  14. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    His solo on Explosion is amazing. I'd have to dig out the CD, but it was a compilation disk, and an all death metal band doing the instrumental, good stuff. I love Cynic as well, hell even the Atheist stuff was great.

15. Is he the one playing on O.S.I?

If so, i really enjoy his playing.
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a Solar Wind C.D. that features Sean......great player :bassist: His solos & tone on this album remind me of Stanley Clarke.
  17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Yep that's him. I also agree, cool stuff on that album.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think there are one or two tracks he's not the bassist on (Mattheos is, IIRC). Yeah, that's a good one, it's growing on me.