Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Fans of Slipknot?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 1, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am a huge fan of the Slipknot boys. I think they, amoung other things, tap into that little black box inside of people where you have all the repressed anger and frustrations. The visual approach is different, but a distant second. Anyone that says different doesn't really know what they are talking about, it does eliminate the individuality, and the "Oh my gosh! He is sooo hot" problem that a lot of "artists" receive.

Not only that, but MTV won't touch them with a 10 foot stick.

In case you are uninformed, Slipknot is a nine peice hardcore act out of Des Moines. Two guitars, one bass, one DJ, one Media Sampler/Keybaord, two custom percussionists, a drummer and a lead singer. They dress in black, red or white coveralls with the numbers 0-8 on them, and home made masks. They are just about as angy as one can get, and with a triple drum attack, they pretty much blow the hinges off most other "Hard" acts like Limp Bizkit and Korn. If you like em, you know what I mean. The two percussionists use everything from large bass and timpany type drums to beer kegs (heard on the intro to Prostetics) and propane tanks.

If you don't, then you might try listening to them for the sound of nine metalheads going at once. The lyrics are kinda trite, but people seem to identify with them. They are definetly an experience if nothing else. Try "Wait and Bleed" "Prostetics" and "Surfacing" for the real goods. I'd advise them to anybody who has ever got fed up with anyone.

Now, I sound like a shamless media jockey, but they do fit the bill if you like that stuff, or even different stuff. I'm telling you, they are worth checking out, even if you don't like them, at least you will know where I'm coming from. I don't know if that's worth 15 bucks to you, but I is really a great band.

Oh, side note for those who dig them: I have Chris Fehn's drumstick. Not one he handed out, one he was using. He lost his grip when he using his head as a third drumstick. It flew out of his hand, and I caught it. Only one at the show who got it. I was front row the entire time!!

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Well....living in Des Moines...I certainly HAVE heard of them and can attest for how huge they are around here. But..
    I have yet to hear them. I keep meaning to give them a listen...at least to satisfy my curiosity....and being from here...I suppose I should at least do THAT....:D

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok: 1 Korn and Limp aren't Metal. Abigor, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Celtic Frost, that metal.

0: Sid Wilson, DJ
    1: Joey Jordison, Drums
    2: Paul Grey, Bass
    3: Chris Fehn, Percussion, Backround vocals
    4: James Root, Guitar
    5: Craig Jones, Sampler
    6: Shawn Crahan, Percusion
    7: Mick Thompson, Guitar
    8: Corey Taylor, Vocals

Great live. They masks are cool. Awesome all around. The lyrics are out ther, but they are sorta impressionistic. Plus, with nine guys, they could beat up any other band out there!

[Edited by Brendan on 09-01-2000 at 09:32 PM]

4. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    hey Brendan...ever seen them live??? they are crazy as hell!!! their stageshow is crazy! there is always something happening! the best is when they bring out the metal can w/ fire in it for prostetics!!! when Chris is playing all the sh*t on the can, Shawn is lighting his suit on fire!! Joey is an amazing drummer too. he does a lot of the stuff on the album that you would think is done by the percussionists! my band is still waiting to find a song that we can do by them

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Saw Live, front row, Corey pretty much sweating on me in a Tiny club of about 200. I knwo crazy stuff happens, I was there! Yeah, They set them selfs on fire when I was there, and it was in general a crazy night. Sid backfliped onto my head, that kinda sucked, but in general, it ruled

6. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    woah! that's ko0l!!...i saw them in Cleveland at a place called the Agora. the skary thing is it is as big as my skools auditourim...and that isn't all that super big. but anyways, i couldn't even get into the pit it was so packed. in a way it was good cuz i actually got to see the show...but they energized me so much that the pit would of been a treat. that is kool that there are other people out there that think Slipknot is great...around here the main music is rap so it is hard to find people into slipknot(let alone other heavy bands)

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I live just north of Des Moines, however I've never seen Slipknot live. Heard a ton about them though. As a tip for carrying out groceries, one of my friends got a drumhead of theirs signed by the entire band. Perhaps it will be worth something someday.

8. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    someday?? your friend could get about a 100 bucks out of it now

9. Slipknot pretty cool.
    I've seen them live two times. Once at a festifal end once at a club. At that club the really kicked ass. It was a hell of a show.

10. Love the band. They know how to rock.

A question tho... is it just me or is their lead singer REALLY short. Like if you look at a whole band picture, he's standing to his full height and is SHORT!!!

11. Have the album, have a jumpsuit (Was at Hot Topic, onsale, and I couldn't resist) that was signed by all nine of them. Saw them live once in Portland. Was a KILLER show. Got the sh!t beaten out of me in the Pit, but it was still fun. Probably the most hardcore band on the planet. System of A Down ain't got nothin on these guys.

Rock on
    Eric

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, Eric, Portlant Oregon? If so, May 5th? If so (again) I was there. Was the festival RockFest?

13. Right on both accounts. You were there? Sweet. That was a good show, wasn't it? Slipknot took the entire show, though. I don't really remember much of the show, as I spen about half of it in the Emergency tent with a concussion. Got to see Slipknot and STP, or was it RHCP? I don't remember. Stupid mosh pits.

Rock on
    Eric

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heh...it was STP. I was sooo close to going. My friends brother got ahold of tickets the night before, but didn't have my phnoe number! Anyway. Yeah, I don't remember much either. I got Chris Fhens Drumstick (he was using his head at the time). Anyway, I thought they rocked at The Roseland Theater. I was in front (that grating wall kinda hurt), in front of Fhen (Or on the left) In front of the wall of sound. I lost my hearing for two days! And, to boot, that was my first concert! Talk about being stoked. And Sid jumped on me. It kinda hurt.

15. I'm going to see slipknot, in flames, someone else i can't remember the name of, and one minute silence this St Valentines day.

I'm realy happy about that, should be great, but I'm slightly annoyed it's on Valentines day because I'm fairly sure judgeing by our convo last night, that my girlfriend would have liked me to come over for coffee ;) which would have been even better.

I guess I'll just have to wait till another day assuming she isn't too pissed off with me.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa....talk about one from the vaults....ah, my impetuous and misspent youth...

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Slipknot is poser hardcore. Listen to Zao.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I saw them a while back, I really like the show they put on but they didnt do one "crazy" thing that they are noted for. True it was in a huge stadium and I heard they get fines when they do that stuff on tour with big acts, but I was little disapointed. No one was on fire, no fights, no crowd partisipation when it came to they craziness. Im a huge Slipknot fan so I enjoyed the show non the less. They played with System Of A Down, Rammstien, American Headcharge, and No one. I had lots of fun and got the crap kicked outta me.

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i havent heard much of them... i do liked "New Abortion" live from the Ozzfest 2001 CD...

and they do have a talented drummer... cant say the same for the bassist.

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my favorate member is the one who just jumps up and down.