1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any fans of the Fender S-1 switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Years ago I bought a precision pickup with a Fender S-1 switch. I thought it was cool but never decided to try and use it until now. From what I can gather it's basically a way of getting a series parallel switch without any major modifications and the ability to keep a stock look.

I recently bought a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Bass pickups, they are 4 conductor so I thought maybe I could use the S-1 to do what the pickup is designed to do. The problem is the diagram I have is setup for standard jazz pickups, guess Fender didn't think about this like I did, unless the original pickups were 2 conductor split coils? Anyone have an idea of how I might be able to use this better than Fender's intentions?

I have also debated on using it as a master volume and adding a blend.

From what I have seen from TB is that people generally don't like the S-1 system.

EDIT:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. This may not help much, because it is not a technical explanation, more a player perspective, but I own a Fender USA Precision and Jazz both with an S-1 switch installed.

I find the series/parallel switch much more noticeable - and much more useful - with the Jazz.

I find it all but useless with the Precision.

Again, that's a player/tone perspective. Let's bump this to those with more insight.

3. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Oddly enough I've never looked at the guts of an S1 switch, but a switch is a switch, if it's a dpdt (or some latching form thereof) you can do Series parallel. That mod makes a huge difference with ultra jazz pickups, in series they are much warmer and louder than parallel, series is my live reggae tone, I use parallel for almost everything else, unless I don't. A push pull switch can also do the same job.

Gord_oh likes this.
  4. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Precision seems useless. I bought it for the pickup. Now I want to use it on my jazz because I know it would make it better. I have some other wiring ideas, but I'll wait for another thread.

Can anyone help? @line6man wasn't electronics and wiring one of your many expertise?

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Two minutes on the google machine turned up this:

Mod Garage: The Fender S-1 Switching System

The S-1 is a four-pole, double throw switch. 4PDT in electronic shorthand. Yes, it will work fine as a series-parallel switch for a Jazz bass, you only need to use two of the four poles available. The web link above shows the pinout for the switch, but if you're modding bass electronics you should have a multimeter anyway.

6. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for spending 2 minutes on Google for little 'ol me. I'll give it a read.

I have a multimeter and know how to use it.

Crater likes this.
  7. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The goal is to take advantage of the 4 conductor pickups verses wiring them like a standard 2 conductor like the Fender diagram illustrates. The link helped to understand the switch a bit better but still unsure how to make it work.

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I went ahead and wired it according to Fender's diagram. I'm actually really digging the sound.

Crater likes this.
  9. Are you trying to wire the pickups series/parallel, with respect to each other, or take advantage of the four-pole switch to do series/parallel coil switching for both pickups at the same time?

The bass could potentially have up to three series/parallel switches, if you want to take full advantage of your options.

10. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    See that's where I was unsure. I thought about taking advantage of the 4 pole in the neck pickup to make it potentially sound like a precision but leaving the bridge pickup alone. Then I thought about getting rid of the second volume pot and turning it into a blend making the S-1 a master volume. I just wanted to use this S-1 as efficiently as possible.

Unrelated:
    I actually am working on a tone control that uses a toggle, cap, and resistor to make two tone sounds using the pot as a level control.

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    So when the S-1 is engaged is it supposed to bypass the bridge volume control? I am assuming it's putting the pickups in series and making the S-1 act like a master volume for the two pickups and turning off the bridge volume. Is that right?

12. Yes...when in series mode you essentially have "one pup" ..so the bridge pup's volume control is bypassed..
    Think of it as a P bass with two coils that are spread really far apart..
    I have an American Standard Jazz that I installed a pull\push volume pot for the series\parallel mod...I think it gives a bit darker,almost P-bass like tone..I like it a lot and use it often...I would never do this to a P-bass though..pointless

mikecd1, TN WOODMAN and Gord_oh like this.
  13. What the switch does is take the hot from the bridge pickup (which normally went to a volume pot), and take the ground from the neck pickup (which normally went to ground), and join them together. This gives one big pickup, with a single output. The bridge pickup's volume pot is not bypassed (It remains in the circuit, providing a 250k or 500k load.), it simply has nothing feeding into its input.

Gord_oh likes this.
  14. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I had one on a Pbass about 10 years ago which I removed and installed several months ago on my Jazz and love it. If I'd had push pull DPDT I would have used that instead, but love the series option on my jazz. One big Jazz pup sounds mighty nice when you join the two single coils together. Lots of options with other pups and multiple switches too, but two vintage single coils together just sounds great to me. Worth the effort.

Gord_oh likes this.