1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any fav J pickups that are way different than stock sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 10, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Since I really dig my recently acquired minty MIM J bass and am fairly satisfied with its stock pickups, i am curious what pickups drop into a J bass with a decidedly different tone and response (in case I decide I must have one more J bass, which is likely!)

I happen to love the J bass overall (now that I own one) but am curious about different style of J pickups....one reason is my 85 Peavey Foundation has the Super Ferrites so its a "J bass of sorts on steroids",which is how its referred to by Foundation players.

I also have an Ibanez SR800 P & J setup active pickups, but to my ears its a leaner more modern sound.

Whats out there that is different for J pickups? Maybe more growl on the bridge pickup?

Not sure I need a warmer more vintage sounding pickup, so the vintage copies from Duncan, Dimarzio etc aren't what I am after in this case.

2. Matt_784

Matt_784

Mar 21, 2016
    You could try the Aguilar J bass pickups. Specifically the Aguilar AG 4J‑70 70's Era 4‑String Jazz Bass Pickup Set. There is also the Nordstrand NJ4s pickups, another great sounding vintage tone. All in all, there are so many different jazz bass pickups out there and they all have a different charecteristic of tone. Ive always favored the Seymour Duncan and the Basslines Vintage Jazz Pickups, they both sound really good to me. It comes down to your opinion and preference and I suggest you try them out for yourself.

3. You might wanna try DiMarzio Model J.

TN WOODMAN and Growlmonkee like this.