1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any female bassists who play a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jt3n1, Mar 12, 2009.

1. jt3n1

jt3n1

Mar 4, 2009
    Kansas City, Ks
    I play a 5 string bass as my main bass and was wondering if there were any other ladies who played 5 strings. In alot of the pics I saw, they were all 4 strings.

Attached Files:

2. I am currently shopping for a five string but I haven't found one I liked ... I plugged one in at the music shop and hit that open B .... and yeah I was hooked.

3. Ashley from Der Spazm plays a 5-string

I can't think of any other 5-string players off the top of my head, female or male....

4. jt3n1

jt3n1

Mar 4, 2009
    Kansas City, Ks
    Maybe its the style of music you play....maybe that has something to do with it. I know I play a lot of gospel music and almost everybody (men) around me had 5 and 6 string basses. Very few people had 4 strings. Not to mention the songs I was playing used that B string alot. I learned on a 4 string but quickly upgraded to the 5 cuz I guess I thought it was a genre standard.

5. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    I play 5-strings exclusively and have played on those for half of my bass playing career. My friend, Vivi Rama (Will.I.Am, Macy Gray), plays a 5-string Musicman, too but also plays 4s.

I also detune my whole bass a half step down from standard, hence, Bb-Gb. I did that because at the time I started playing 5s I was playing a lot of gospel and a lot of gospel tunes are in flat keys. It just made it sound more full to my ears to be able to play an open Bb. I don't play much gospel these days but that still remains to be my standard tuning. I read music in that tuning as well. It's just natural to me.

6. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Are you asking about posters or famous people? The only well-known female 5-stringer I know of is Sara Lee. I've seen her with the B-52's and the Indigo Girls, and she's awesome! Super cute, too. When I saw her with the B-52's she was playing a G&L 2500- much like mine! I wanted to jump onstage and give her a hug (luckily I restrained myself). None of the female bassists I know personally play a fiver, though.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've seen Rhonda Smith (Prince), Gail Ann Dorsey (David Bowie), Tracy Wormworth (Sting, Rosie O'Donnell) , Lynn Keller (LA studio) play 5, and I think MC Divinity plays one when she does the Beyonce Knowles gig. There's many more, but that's what comes to mind right now at this hour.

8. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Better question- any girls playing more than 6 strings?
    :)

IME, my female students have been more rooted in fundementals over "gear" over the years!

Long live the groove!!!!!!! Girl bassists have been my favorite bass students in the last few years. For that matter, any girls playing 6 or more?
    :p:p:p:p:p:p

Keep rockin it.
    j

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    does gail ann dorsey not play a 5?

10. Fan234

Fan234

Mar 28, 2009
    Here is a couple of links to some of her cool vids: :bassist:

Afan

11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Don't forget Debra Killings...she pretty much only plays fives and sixes and sounds great. Awesome groove player

12. spark_chaser

spark_chaser

Nov 15, 2008
    Sanford, FL
    I'm in love:smug:

13. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    Carrie Melbourne (plays(d) with Mike Oldfield) used a 5 string Warwick at live performances.

14. I play a 5-string peavey, it's the bass i learnt on and since my band plays a lot of down-tuned stuff it made my lie a lot easier instead of having really loose strings. However since i learnt on a 5-string it does throw me a bit when i play a 4-string

15. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I play a 5 string and previously I've had a 5 and 6 string SR-400 versions.

And I've the smallest hands of anyone I know ;) seriously. I do have to look for slimmer necks and tighter string spacing but meh.

I also am a bit of an oddity as I'm more into black/death/doom/groove metal, which most girls don't really enjoy.

16. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    D can really bang that 6!!! She can sing while playing too, I can even get close LOL!!

17. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    She is definitely one of my favourites :bassist:

18. After the so-very-average hair metal band "Vixen" broke up in the early '90s, bassist Share Pedersen was playing some amazing Latin gigs in Miami on a 5-string Warwick Streamer.

19. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    You are the only other person here who as ever mentioned Sara!

And all the ladies mentioned in this thread are great bassists!

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Yes she does....:bassist: Watch David Bowies BBC sessions on youtube...