Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any fisherman out there???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 12, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Man I'm fired up. It's pre spawn time here up north so the fish are getting all ramped up to reproduce. I seen a few fellow members mention fishing. It's about tied for me as far as favorite things to do along with bass playing,...as far as hobbies go...LOL. I live near Detroit so I have the great lakes here which are very cool. My fav place to fish is in Canada, man you guys have awesome fishing! Do any of you like to fish and where and what do you fish for? I've caught all kinds of fish fresh and salt water...

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I fish in warmer months (usually start just before the water comes up in the reservoir, so I get going good and heavy around May), and I fish mainly off a dock on my friend's property in a small inlet. We throw christmas trees and stuff out along the shore so we'll draw more game.

Mostly I fish smallmouth and largemouth bass off a light reel and small jigs. Weekend nights sometimes I'll have two rods going, one with chicken livers on it catching mud cats that I stick under the arm of a cooler to keep it from running off, and another flipping those little jigs and stupid plastic worms at those sunken Christmas trees. Don't keep any of 'em cause the lake's trashed, I just admire 'em for a bit and throw 'em back.

Great fun, fishing is. Very relaxing, when you've got enough beer and cigarettes (and when the right people are over a healthy spliff never hurt anybody).

Always wanted to try my hand at fly fishing, and thought it'd be great fun to go out and hunt down some of those bigass sailfish that you gotta fight for hours at a shot before you get em close enough for the gaff. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

3. yeah... mainly panfish and catfish....
    i spend too much time shooting trap to fish much though.

4. Man I love fishing. I am from darwin, Australia, which is well know for BARRAMUNDI. A great sport fish. Peak fishing for us is in april to october which is called the dry season, where there is no rain in this period. If we have a year with very good rains prior to the dry season, usually fishing is going to be good. During this time Spanish mackerel, tuna, barracutta run well, As well as the reef/bomby spiecies like snapper,emperor and jew fish. What sort of rigs you guys running? ( suppose you guys are more freshwater style, bass,trout?) :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I try to use as small a rig as I can. The fight's a bit more exciting when I bring in a 5 or 10 pound smallmouth or largemouth with a panfish rig than if I were to use one of those monster baitcasting setups the pros use (I have one, but almost never use it). Mostly I use 10 pound test line and some smallish 30 year old spinning reel.

6. Like sportfishing style, in comps they make you use small rigs and lite line. Yeh, I get a bit impatient with flicking all day. I am a bit of a sloth, I got 80pd braided line on a Okuma T20L and a Shimano tiapan 25 kg rod. I like cracking the beer, flopping it over the side on a wreck and hopefully get some reef action. Got an abu garcia 6500c4 on an ugly stik for lure fishing but I love being out on the water with a few beers and mates, really relaxing.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ugly sticks are serious, but then I guess you're going after serious fish (no barracuda in my local lake, that's for sure).

Mmm... beer.

8. For catfish i use: 7'6" Ugly Cat/ Shakespeare Tidewater 30, a 7'6" Berkley Big Game Medium 10-20/ Garcia 6500, and a BPS Catmaxx Heavy 7'6"/ Quantam Iron 20/400 cap. ...(gonna change that catmaxx to a quantum big cat)(catmaxx has horrible action, dont buy it).

For Crappie/Bluegills/Redears- B'n'M rods....pretty much all of them. Shakespeare Micro reels, and some quantums too. Mostly 4 lb test. Lots of little jigs, etc.

I have some medium size stuff for bass,walleye, sand bass, etc.

16 foot spectrum aluminum boat. 55 horse force motor.
    ...ummm thats about it.

9. ya man, i like to fish, here in Oregon/Washington there are some great fish.
    i maily like to fish with spinners, and some jigs... fav. fish to fish for: bass, there is a river by my house that has some great smallmouth bass. i also like to fish for salmon.
    oh ya, and my fishing dream = fishing for marlon of coast of the Baja

10. I enjoy fishing for snappers(baby blue fish) with a general light freshwater trout style setup.

Good set of fun. Esaier to catch too, they'll bite anything that falls into the water.

11. YEAH, nice1 serious outfit man. 2 thumbs up, Shakespeare stuffs nice

12. HELLO DOLLY!!!!, Where do I sign???

That would bring a tear to a glass eye mate. I'd LIke to try and catch one of those "HUGE" nile perch, BIG fish man.

13. lollygagger

lollygagger Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Queensland, Australia
    i caught a 500gram bream once.

14. Hey gagger, you couldn't catch sunburn out there mate, :D

15. That was a joke by the way, don't take it the wrong way ;)