Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any FLCL fans here? Why those guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Jan 10, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I just finished watching the FLCL DVD and I loved it. I know the concept of cartoon characters using electric guitars as weapons isn't exactly new, but does anyone happen to know why Gainax chose those out of all instruments?

I mean, two of them (Haruko's Rickenbacker 4001 and the ...eew... EB-0 Canti uses when he gets to play the hero) are basses, for God's sake, and everyone knows basses aren't cool, right?!

Why didn't Gainax use the pointy guitars everyone knows and loves, like Naota's Flying V?

Are there any statements from the director about this, or does anyone happen to know?

2. Beats me. But that show kicked ass.

3. I LOVE FLCL, even if made absolutly no sense whatsoever.

Wait...theres an FLCL dvd? where?!

4. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    That whole show is a metaphor for Naota going through puberty. Hence the shorter scale guitar as opposed to the basses belonging to Haruko and Canti.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I got mine off ebay for 10 Euros. It contains all six episodes, but it doesn't have the English dubs, all voices are in Japanese. The DVD has English subtitles, though. Doesn't really bother me, as I'm taking Japanese classes at college right now.

NioeZero, I was guessing something along those lines myself. I'm still curious as to why they decided to choose those brands, though.
    I wonder what Haruko would have looked like if they had decided to make her wield a Fender Jazz?

By the way, I hear there's also a couple of English DVDs available (2 episodes per DVD), but they're very expensive.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The FLCL DVD's are available on Amazon and other places, but there are 3, each for $20, so it's a pretty big rip. I'd wait until they collect them all into one pacakge and then buy that. The DVD's have a bunch of extra features (like transcriptions of the manga scenes) but I don't really think it's worth it. You can buy the chinese DVD with all 6 episodes, a music video by the Pillows (one of the many EXCELLENT Japanese bands, and a personal favorite of mine. They are almost like a Japanese Weezer), for $10. But as phxlbrmpf stated, it's only in English subtitled...which shouldn't bother you too much if you're a TRUE anime fan (and pronounce it aH-Nee-May, in stead of AN-ee-may) though the subtitles can be a little hard to see at times because of their choice of font color. I think the Adult Swim FLCL episodes were done very well as far as dubbing is concerned, they really captured the manic attitude of the show.

As for the choice of guitars, I think it was because of aesthetic reasons. The fender guitars are very non-descript I feel, especially considering they're all over the place. The Flying V, Rickenbacker and EB-0(a relatively rare bass, which is probably why they all freaked out when Canti pulled it out) all sort of exude the rock and roll attitude. I'm not an expert on Japanese music markets and cultures, and I'll have to watch the series a few more times before I can say conclusively, but I think that's a pretty good guess.

(Truly, this is a series that keeps on giving)

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I, too, thought the dub was really well done. I watched the first episode in English and quite liked it.

I also liked the soundtrack by The Pillows a lot, I really felt their garage rock-esque sound added another dimension to the show. The songs never came across as mere background music, and "Bran New Lovesong" is just awesome -- heck, all of the songs are pretty awesome.

I really doubt the overall product would've been so... slick with a different soundtrack, and The Pillows definitely don't deliver your typical J-Pop sound, either.

8. Sorry, but its attitudes like that that really turn me off anime. I pronounce it how I want...and reading subtitles sucks after about 15 minutes IMO.

9. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I was just kidding. I didn't mean to offend, or irritate.
    I don't really care either way. But I've been with people who you have to watch yourself with about those kinds of things.

Watching movies with subtitles gets easier the more you watch and eventually you don't even notice them anymore.

10. watching Kenshin dubbed hurts my head. The voice acting and pronunciation is just ridiculously bad. Subtitles are definitely the way to go.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wasn't the Rick also left-handed? Maybe it was a Sir Paul reference. :)

12. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Yeah, 'twas a lefty. I'd hope it's not a McCartney reference, but it may very well be. You know how people are with them damnable Beatles... can't keep 'em out of anything.

13. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  14. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Ah FLCL. I love that show.

Why guitars? because they're cool.............

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow....I'm a dork then...I always pronounced it an-i'm. Do you guys consider Star Blazers to be anime?

-Mike

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, jumping on the "*** did i just saw? that was pretty cool" wagon.

The Pillows being on the soundtrack is :cool:

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Guitars = music = misc

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hey, JMX, if you had read the thread you'd have noticed that by "guitars" I meant both "ordinary" electric guitars and bass guitars, and that FLCL has both... well, fuhgeddaboudit.

19. Heh, FLCL was my re-introduction to anime ... which scared the hell out of a lot of people ... the fact that i saw that and didn't go cry in a corner because of the sheer randomness.

As for why they picked those guitars, as i know, the originals are all rare collector items. Even the Vespa, if you can find the same year and modle of Vespa in working condition i'm sure a collector wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for a very hansom sum of money.

I don't know what the dirrector said about the guitar choice, watch the diffector commentary audio track, i found them to be very helpful, but i haven't seen them in a while for lack of time, as college tends to do a good job of sucking that away. If you have any questions about FLCL theres a lot of anime message boards out there you can ask around on, usualy the people there either know what the hell their talking about or are total write offs. Usualy it's easy to tell.

[/|\]

20. ... yes by the chinese DVD and support your local triad's activities when their drug deals and prostitution rings are having bad days ...

More or less, all those DVD's are bootlegs. Buying them is worse then pirating because of who your supporting. If your a fan and wish to own the DVD's, then atleast get the right ones. I don't really care if you think their too expensive ... save up for them if you really want them, if not then be content with seeing it on TV or renting the DVD.

And the reason why we get ripped off in north america is because Anime Distributors know theres only a small number of companies distributing anime and they can jack the prices up as much as they want and we will still keep buying it because their the only legit place we can go.

By the way, if your b!tching about prices, then go to www.dvdpricesearch.com a single DVD will almost never cost more then $20 american. And if you still want to b!tch about the pices then come to canada where retail prices are up to about $45 to $50 per DVD ... not only that but you get looked at like you have a tatto that says "Child Rapist" on your forehead when you buy from most stores that don't specialize in anime.

Now sorry if i pissed anyone off, but it really pisses me off when people openly support the chinese mafia like that.

[/|\]