Any forklift drivers here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Out in left field, we have Bimp talking about forklifts :D .

My latest job involves forklift driving, and I enjoy it. When I was a wee little one, I used to ride on my Dad's forklift at the lumber mill. So 30 years later, now I'm driving them sometimes at work and I enjoy it.

Any forklift driving bass players out there :confused: ?
    If so, what is the brand and capacity, and what do you haul?
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My brother drove forklifts at Home Depot sometimes (he worked there during the summer).
  3. I drove one for a summer at a fasteners warehouse. It was a green Clark one that ran on electricity.
  4. I used to ride around on them in the back room of my supermarket.
  5. I used to be a bass playing forklift operator. I'm still licenced...I enjoy driving them.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "I'd like to see a forklift actually lift a big pallet of'd be so damn LITERAL! You are now being used for your exact purpose." - Mitch Hedberg

I used to drive one of those electric powered standup fork lifts at a computer company warehouse but not a real propane powered sit down type lift.

brad cook
  7. I used to use one when I worked in a [rob halford voice]METAAAAAAL[/rob halford voice] shop. Picking up pallets of stamped lawnmower decks and metal shavings. Occasionally use those powered push floor jack things in the warehouse.
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ohhh! Talk about a repressed memory! For a two year period, while working at GTE, I drove fork lift so we could get our own supplies from storage. I thought that it would get me out of sight. HA! I end up driving 9 hours a day for 37 weeks each year!
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I used to drive a forklift many years ago. I´m not licensed, but I learned quickly.

I worked at a small fish processing place.

We forklift duties consisted of lifting containers that were usually around 1-ton. Also some pallets loaded with cod etc.
    The containers had frosen fish, container full of varm water with thawed fish, containers full of salt, containers full of salted cod etc. This also involved picking up said containers and gently rolling it to get the fish/salt/whatever out of it into another container/onto a platform etc. Fun stuff.

Each of those containers were 1 cubic meter, I also had to stack them ontop of each other until there were about 4-5 of them ontop of each other. Of course filled with cod.
    Challenging but fun!

Hope I managed to explain this clearly, I have no idea how to talk about this industry in english.

Edit: I don´t remember what kind the fork lift was, but it ran on gas (not gasoline, but GAS).
  10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Yes Sir been drivin one for bout 12 year now. Got me one of them Nissan outfits that runs on that propane. I don't drive it much these days cause I'm at my desk mostly but I can still drive the ole girl pertty good I reckon. Hell back in my day I was so good on that thang, I could tie yer shoes with the forks if they needed it.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    6 month contract March - August 2004, working at a glass factory, frequently but not constantly driving electrical forklifts (brands Komatsu and Still) hauling bottles, mainly for Absolut Vodka (the factory in question has 80-85% of all Absolut Vodka bottle production, meaning a buttload of bottles). All the other palletizers had automated pallet transport systems, but nooo, not mine. I hated it. Great pay though. :)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I drove one at a couple of jobs that I worked when I was younger.

When I was 18, at Kmart, I drove a yellow(Yale, I think?) propane burner.

When I was 23, I was a courier for a small package delivery service, and we shared office space with a small warehouse. Since they knew that I could drive a forklift, they occasionally had me load a truck or pull an order for them. Green Clark propane burner.
  13. This thred reminds me of this old thread. :D
  14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I used to be licensed for a union shop. I really enjoyed that job. Now I'm stuck in a cube all day - ala Office Space.
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Just remember to put cover sheets on your TPS reports.
    Did you get the memo? :D
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey Farley,

I noticed you didn't have a cover sheet on your TPS report. I'll be sure and get you a copy of the memo.

brad cook
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Damn, I was late!

18. :eek:

Wow, I'm gone a couple days and 17 posts in my forklift thread :D .

It's cool to hear what other people are carrying on their lift trucks. I run these, all LPG:

Hyster 10k lb. cushion tire standard forks (x2) :cool:
    Hyster 10k lb. cushion tire grab attachment :cool:
    Hyster 15k lb. cushion tire standard fork :spit:
    Clark 10k lb. pneumatic tire grab attachment :cool:

The big Hyster kind of sucks - it has several problems: poor visibility, mismatched forks (one points up, one points down), if you touch hydraulics at idle the engine dies, and the brakes are nearly gone!! The rest of them are a joy to run.

We carry aluminum. Typically 4' x 12' x 8" stacks, sometimes stacks weighing upwards of 15k lb (like lifting three fullsize pickup trucks :D ).
  19. Most of ours look kinda like this, only dirty: