Any four string basses with narrow string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Solude, May 22, 2018.

1. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Finding a short scale bass wasn't terribly challenging but are there any four string basses with narrower than the typical .75"/19mm spacing? Please keep it to options under $1K.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

some bridges will allow you to narrow your spacing considerably...and a bridge would be less expensive than an instrument. just sayin'. ;)

Bodeanly and Helix like this.
  3. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    True but the bridge won't narrow the neck to match.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hofners have very narrow spacing.

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Rics are narrow at the bridge, wide at the nut.

Burwabit likes this.
  6. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Thanks gents.

7. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hofners are all short scale and narrow spaced. Their Contemporary line is under $1,000.

hct-500_1-sb_t.jpg hct-500_1-bk_tx.jpg HCT-500_2-SB_t.jpg HCT-500_2-BK_t.jpg hct-500_7-sb_t_2.jpg HCT-500_5-SB_t.jpg hct-500-5-t.jpg

salcott, Mastermold and scuzzy like this.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

That and Danelectro

salcott and Tony In Philly like this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Epi EA-260 Bass.JPG Or, most Hofner clones (much less than $1K); most early '70s Japanese basses - like this one; or Mosrite basses (won't be under $1K, though); or the Mosrite copies....;)

10. fermata

fermata Guest

Nov 10, 2015
    For short scales, check out the Chowny SWB-1, Guild Starfire and M-85 (they show up used under $1K), Danelectro Longhorn, Epiphone Viola and Rumblekat, and most anything Hofner (the Contemporary line is excellent). The medium scale Aria Pro II CSB/TSB models from the early 80s also have narrow spacing at the bridge and are very good instruments at affordable (used) prices.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  11. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    Gibson SG are narrow spaced at 17mm.

Maryvillebass likes this.
  12. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

MM Sterling

basslicks and Maryvillebass like this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Check out different scale basses, short or medium. There'll be a lot more options in spacing with smaller scales than without. The gibson, that someone mentioned earlier, does have smaller string spacing. I didn't care for the feel of the bass or the sound when I tried one though. But, I dont care for the guitar version either. Plenty of people out there do. But, it did look good for sure. That's what made me want to pick it up and play.

14. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I used to own a Vox double cutaway hollowbody that had a neck that was so narrow I couldn't cope with it. I have large-ish hands and it was not easy to play without gutter balling the E or G strings right off the fretboard. I was younger and maybe more ham-fisted, but I had to sell it. Too narrow.

15. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Soundgears?

16. ktedrow

ktedrow

Feb 18, 2015
    Folsom, CA
    I believe that Soundgear and MM Sterling are both 19mm at the bridge. At least every one I've seen is.

They're narrow at the nut (38mm/1.5") but widen to 19mm space at the bridge.

FingerDub likes this.
  17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Vintage Aria pro IIs have 16mm spacing. The SB line, TSB line and CSB line. The latter two are also medium scale.

18. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Fender / Squire Bass VI

19. holdfast

holdfast

Jan 27, 2014
    Toronto
  20. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Steinberger XL2 that is very well known for having very tight string spacing. However if your budget is 1k it wont be an option. Not sure about the Steinberger Synapse 4 or Radius basses but it may be worth a check if you can get past the boat oar shape..