1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any free software for iPad/Mac to use in place of a drummer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by addictedtonoise, May 26, 2012.

1. I may start playing bass with some guys in a live situation where we won't have a drummer. I have a MacBook and an iPad, and I've seen some Macs used in live performances for loops. I assume that they are probably using some pricy software. Does anyone have any experience with using any free or cheap software in a live setting?

2. I try at least five of these "drummer" apps each week. Unfortunately, they all suck so far.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    cheap irealb

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    IMO there is no drum machine that can successfully stand in for a real drummer in a live application. It takes a lot longer to "teach" a song to a drum machine than to a drummer unless you want the drum part to be dull and repetitive, and a drum machine can't listen to what is going on and recover from glitches on the fly.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    iRealb isn't dull and repetative. It's smart enough to know when to do fills and what to do on different choruses. It's remarkably similar to Band In a Box with Realtracks. No complicated programming needed. Band in a Box can do a lot more though with different styles per bar.

Jamstix gets very close to an actual band member
    http://www.rayzoon.com/
    It does take some programming, but really hard to tell it's not a real drummer. It will Jam, when the back gets quite and lays back so does it. When things get loud and exciting so does it.

But it doesn't run on an iPad
    Mac soon though.

6. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Amplitube, Ampkit and the GK app are great. My favorite is the Amplitube so far due to the Ampeg sim but I think that the Ampeg is not on the free version even though the Marshall which is, is great for bass, well if you like 70s aggressive tone.

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I like irealb as well. Nice app. Also GarageBand is quite nice but unlike Amplitube not for live stuff. Amplitube is rock solid on iPad, no problem using it live.