1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any fully carved LaScala's in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass Barrister, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Does anyone have a fully carved NS Scala or one of the Schnitzer/deSola Testore copy basses in the Chicago area? If so, please PM me if you are willing to let me check it out.

I had a great conversation with Arnold this afternoon and am investigating the possibility of having one of these basses made. I'd appreciate any comments or experiences any of you might have with one of these basses.

I do want to thank Arnold for taking the time to speak with me today, for the concern he showed for my specific needs, and for the depth and scope of his knowledge. We are so fortunate to have folks of his caliber serving our needs and desires.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I played a fully carved one a few months ago that I think he referred to as a modified Testore model. Ask Arnold, he will know which Bass it was that I played.

It sounded great and played just as good, bowed or pizz'ed. I think it has a much more expensive sound than the price tag. Truly a great bargain for a German/American Bass with excellent workmanship and set-up.

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I was somewhat confused by the models of basses Arnold offers. From my conversation iwth him, there are four categories:

1. NS Cleveland and LaScala laminates and hybrids AND the LaScalla fully carved special order bass. These are made in Germany and finished in New York.
    2. The "Schnitzer & De Sola" Testore and Ruggieri special order models. The blanks come from Germany and are finished and set up here. These start at about $10.5K
    3. One of Arnold's hand-made basses like the AES Walnut, and
    4. A variety of basses from other makers ranging from entry level to "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it".

My budget will allow the first two categories. One of our TB members with a carved LaScala in this area has contacted me and I will check his bass out soon.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I played one of these. Outstanding bang for the buck. Very surprising mature clear clean tone, easy to play (of course) and strong projection.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    There was also a fully carved Cleveland in Chicago for a while.

I have a student interested in the LaScala model who would like to check it out, too, if the TBer mentioned above wouldn't mind.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I just came back from checking out a fully carved La Scala and I am impressed. Great sound pizz and arco, very comfortable to play and get around on and it's beautiful to look at.

Bravo, Arnold!

7. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I took a carved La Scala as partial payment for a bass I just sold, but I won't pick it up until next week.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    ..and we'll be expecting photos.

9. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    Here's a link to some photos of one from Ken Smith's forums.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=7904#post7904

There was also a girl who played one on youtube. She was okay but not great with the bow, but from what I heard, it sounds okay if a bit new and raw.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021