Any G&L fans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Any G&L fans out there? What do you think of the L-2000 and ASAT basses? I may be interested in one of them. From what I hear, they are very affordable, great sounding basses. What can they be compared to? I appreciate any opinions.
  2. I've tried a few of there guitars and they reminded me of a very high quality Dano but I've never seen any G & L basses. I'd like to know how they sound too.
    BTW, it may seem I gave no actual help, dont be fooled.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have a G&L L-2000. People tend to emphasize that L-2000s are very versatile, which is true, but I don't need versatility.

The L-2000 has a character of its own. The neck pickup soloed is basically the fattest, loudest P Bass you will ever hear. To be honest, the bridge pickup is kind of useless alone. To me at least, it's a little to nasally sounding.

Both pickups together is the arrangement I prefer. The sound is distinctly humbucker, but the top end remains clear and defined. In other respects, the L-2000 is reminiscent of a super Jazz Bass.

If you have a tube amp, this is the bass for you. The pickups are incredibly hot and will surely overdrive the amp for a little distortion.

At the new G&L website (, there are soundclips of the L-2500 bass available. What impressed me is that there is a soundclip for every possible combination of settings, and there are a lot of them.

My regret, however, is that the bass on the soundclips is slapped, which really doesn't say much about the tone of the bass. I would not recommend you base any judgement of the L series basses on those clips.
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have an L-2000 and I love it. I like the nasally bridge pickup too. It does have a lot of different sounds in it. The bridge soloed with active pre-amp on and in parallel gets close to a stingray sound, the neck alone in series is a monsterous P-bass sound. I also agree with others that my favorite is both pickups on in series mode with Treb and Bass all the way up.
    The pickups are extremely HOT and the pre-amp is very good. My only complaints are that the neck is a little large (OK by me, but just a lot larger than my others) and the pre-amp can be a little noisey as there is no shielding there. Other than that i love it. Mine is becoming my primary bass.

You can also check out the G&L forum at the Dudepit
    you can find a lot of info there.

5. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I love my L-2000 now that I have one with a #6 (narrower, jazz-like) neck. I don't know exactly what I'd compare it to - I like it better than the Stingray and American Precision Deluxe I used to have (although that's a personal preference thing). I think I like it so much because it's the only bass I've ever had that I cut the bass on (in series mode).

While I'm intrigued by the ASAT (nice shape and it comes with the #6 neck standard) the body shape will cause it to hang differently. I want to try one out in person eventually to see how it is. It is reported to be neck heavy (although many say with a wide strap it's not a problem) and hange to the left (making you reach farther for first position) because of the lack of a top horn.
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My main player is my rat-bastard 1980 L-1000 (1980 body and pickup, 1982 L-2000E neck, new bridge). It's probably the best bass I've had since my '64 Precision, and it came at a much cheaper price. For my money, G&L is what Fender would have been if Leo had stayed on.
  8. i own an L-2000 and love it...

all i need to do is get my preamp looked at by a tech. I get a static-like sound out of the bass whenever i put a battery in it (kind of like when you turn to a channel you don't have or a radio station with bad reception)...but in passive mode, it still sounds awesome.

I don't think there is a genre this bass can't sit well in!;) :)
  9. Why don't they shield their electronic cavities?
  10. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have an L2500 - same pups/electronics as L2000, but with 5 strings. So far, I never heard any noise out of it. It's very versatile, well made - my main 5 string bass. If I didn't have so many basses, I'd be in the market for an L2000 too - I still prefer 4 strings unless I have to use a 5-stringer.
  11. Me too, which is why I'm inquiring about 4-strings. I have a Carvin B5 right now, and I'm selling my only 4-string to help purchase a good 210 cab which I need more than anything right now.
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You will see mu ash body w/ maple neck L-2500 in the photo at left. It is a very comfortable and playable bass. I love it. It was a great professional quality tone. Extremely we made and nice to look at. IMHO, you can't go wrong with a G&L.

13. I love my G&L L2000. Just wish it had a natural finish. The body is very light on the one I have and
    it demolish cheap batteries. I wish it had a battery flipper. Great bass!
  14. Do more expensive batteries last longer? Do you consider Durecells to be more expensive?

I've also read some bad things about G&L necks warping. Has anybody had a problem with this? Do they use anything besides the truss rod to reinforce the neck?
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't know about batteries. I just take them out every 60 days or so and through them away. I always use duracells, but I really can't wait for one to die.

As for the necks warping. I have never heard that. I love G&Ls and I pick up and play every one I ever see anywhere, new, used pawnshop whatever. I have never seen one with a warped neck.

The rip the necks completely in half to set the trussrod and then re-glue them. So, basically you have a glue seam (which is stronger than the wood itself) running perpendicular to the finger board. My L2500 is so tough, you could hammer nails with it.

16. ...but I hope you don't!;) Thanks for your comments Chasarms.:)
  17. I love my G&L 2500 you can find now a brand new for just $900. This bass can give you the sound of a P bass, Jazz or Music Man. Also this bass has a hot output remember he use two hambucker. The pasive/active switch is very helpfull. I use brigde pickup with serial and parallel mode, for slap I use both pick up with parallel mode and active. You will find what fits your need.
  18. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I love G&Ls ... I currently have 3 (L-1505, L-2500, ASAT)... great basses
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have an '80 L2000E. Cosmetically it's in rough shape. Structurally it's perfect. The preamp needs some attention, it gets noisy after it warms up. Otherwise, killer sound, lots of them, very nice bass.