Any GC employees out there? New strings sound thin!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 19, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I bought a Warwick FNA Jazzman a few weeks back, and I just changed the strings on it. I put my favs on, Ken Smith Rock Masters (medium-light guage, B string is 125 tapered, E is 100, so on) and they just sound thin compared to the strings that were on the bass in the store! Any GC regulars out there, do you know what kind of strings the stores usually put on new basses? This was a brand new GC and a brand new bass, so I'm hoping there is some kind of GC 'standard' string that is used for basses. I want that sound back! If that doesn't work, do you think going to a larger guage set (like say, Rock master Heavy guage) would add a noticable amount of girth to the sound?
  2. I know Warwick ships their basses out with Warwick Black Label strings, I dunno what guages though.
  3. If you bought your bass new it came with
    Warwick Black Label Strings

Order No.# 40 301
    5-string M (medium), Low B

.045 G
    .065 D
    .085 A
    .105 E
    .135 B

I have a box of them sitting right here.
    I put them on my Warwick for about an hour,
    then took them off. They've been sitting
    around here since.
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ah, I figured it out. It wasn't the strings, it was the fact that these Smiths aren't taper core and the bridge requires taper core.
  5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    iplay...Smith strings do come in taper core, although many places don't carry them in stock. You'll want the TCRML5 set (Taper Core Round Medium-Light). If your local shop won't order them for you, the folks at Smith will take a direct order. In fo at the site