Any Gibson EB-2 owners out there? Need string suggestion....and case and cover.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeplaysbass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Just picked this up locally - a 1967 EB-2 in nice shape....the nut is replaced (not pertty but working) but the rest looks original.

What strings are you EB-2 owners using? It's got flats on it now, but I'm thinking of switching to rounds. I mean, I love the mud, and I knew this would be muddy, but a *little* bite wouldn't hurt....

I'd also like to score a good case for this (the half-destroyed chipboard and a bungee ain't happenin'...) and a palm rest/cover.

Any suggestions welcome.

IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg

2. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Very nice bass indeed - great condition finish too. Someone was selling replica handrests on ebay. If they are not there now, i'm sure they'll be back again sooner or later. They were steel rather than chromed brass, but look the same.

I only use flats, so can't help with the strings. Nice bass!

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Looks very nice! I put D'Addario 1/2 rounds on my '67 and love the tone. I picked up an aftermarket case but can't remember who made it. I'll look tonight and report back tomorrow.

Guitars210.jpg

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Duke12, you are one lucky man! An EB-2 is one of the 2 or 3 basses that give me actual gas! Congratulations on a GREAT score!!!

5. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Rounds really ate into the frets on my '60s eb-3. I think the fret metal is very soft on these old Gibsons. It seems much happier with flats. I know it's not the same bass, but I like to use either Rotosound Jazz Bass (flats) or Tru Bass (tape wound) on the eb-3.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That looks exactly like my '68... even the condition. I have Thomastik J-Flats on mine... not roundwound but clear and articulate, just what the doctor ordered.

Funny you should ask about a case upgrade. Mine's been in chipboard for many years but only 2 weeks ago a TBL'er located a source for EB-2 hard cases at a reasonable price. I didn't follow up yet but the source he mentioned is: Music Telephone 608 372 4572. If it pans out please let me know. I still plan to buy one some day.

7. JAMKSTAN

JAMKSTAN

Feb 12, 2009
    I have a 1966 EB2-CD that I bought NEW. I've always used oval wounds because I didn't like the feel of round wounds, and could slide up and down the strings. I also have a chipboard case, and have been trying for 25 years to find a hard shell case at a reasonable price. It's frustrating. My guitar looks almost new and is all original. You can make this guitar sound like almost any other. I've never used the treble boost live, didn't like the sound or find a reason to do so.

8. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I think Ken Smith "Compressors" come in short scale?
    The would work great for an EB-2.

LaBella, Nylon 760's. (short scale)

Or Black Beauties. ( expensive, but sound great)

TI-342 Jazz Rounds,(short scale)

Any of the above are nice.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    D'addario Chrome Flats

G

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021