1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Gibson G3 experts able to answer a few questions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BryanS, Nov 30, 2018.

1. BryanS

BryanS

Sep 3, 2018
    Portland Oregon
    I'm gladly back in the G3 community after many years. Had a beautiful G3 as a teen. Sold it when my first child came. Just bought 2 great 1976 G3s. Happy as can be! One is mint. One needs work. The latter needs a bridge cover. Tried to buy one but found it to be a fake, totally wrong dimensions. Seeing them (if you can ever find them) to be several hundred US dollars. But i just found a used G3 with its bridge cover intact for $800 (half what you see them going for these days). It's serial number indicates it to be a 1978. It is really beat up, has a bunch of non-stock parts. But I might just buy it for the bridge cover then sell it, or sell its parts. After all that, here's my question. The truss cover says "THE GRABBER" instead of every other one I've seen that says "G-3" Is this a fake? Or did some G3s say have this truss cover. I realize G3 and Grabber 3 are interchangeable names for this bass. Just wondering because I've never seen one like this before. Plus it has just one pickup (not the three "buck and a half" setup). But the ad says non-original pick guard. I think it is a Frankenstein. Any advice? Will its resale value stand?

2. BryanS

BryanS

Sep 3, 2018
    Portland Oregon
    Ah, I just discovered the Grabber 3 was preceded by the Grabber, sometimes called the G1. Boom, all my vintage bass cred out the window. So now my question becomes how many of the parts between the Grabber and the Grabber 3 are interchangeable? Most importantly for my case, are the bridge covers exactly the same?

3. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I’ve only owned a grabber , but I’m pretty sure that since they use the same bridge , they are interchangeable