1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Gibson Thunderbird lovers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
  2. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

Feb 23, 2008
    Indiana 812
    i like the way they look but not so much how they feel. of course mike watt made one look very cool.

3. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Well not quite the grail, That'd be the Flying V prototype that was sent to Ess & Ess case co. to be fit for production cases and put on the shelf back in the 50's only to turn up when they cleaned out the place in the 90's. Anyone recall this urban myth?

4. If they're anything like that black, gothic epiphone copy that my gf had a few months ago, i find them utterly unplayable. You could fit a bus under the strings above the body of it. No balance. BLEH.

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    LOL..If whats in that box is what they said it is its not the cheapie your talkin about...check the link.

6. Saw the link. So you're saying I need to check out a REAL Thunder Bird? Will do.

7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ya...one of that year can be real nice and i dont like Gibson basses. Epi's suk for the most part.

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Take the money or open the box? :D

Tough choice!

9. ChemicalFire

ChemicalFire

Dec 10, 2007
    They look nice, but I played an Epi Goth Thunderbird...

...I would rather play my entry level Yamaha!

10. That's exactly right. Man... I'd want to play it, but there's plenty of T-Birds in the world.

11. Woodsy's Music

Woodsy's Music

Feb 28, 2008
    Anyone with serious interest in the "T-Bird in the box" is more than welcome to see it. We'd want to see it if we were buying it! We've thought about opening it, taking pictures and sealing it back up, but it's just not the same.

12. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Actually no there are not plenty of vintage T-birds, things that makes these special are the long headstock with the heavy tuners, flimsy neck, neck thru, and of course the pickups

creates a tone profile that cant be duplicated

13. simple11

simple11 Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2007
    I've posted a couple of pictures of a 60's forward T-bird today; check my posts.

14. Like this one?

normal_T-BirdMute1.

With the flimsy 9 piece laminate neck?

normal_birdlaminate.

And heavy tuners and big ol' paddle headstock?

normal_birdhead.

According to shipping records, there were 1855 T-Birds made from 76-79. Also according to shipping records there were 8 tobacco sunburst 'Birds made in 79... including mine, I've seen all 8, plus a dozen others.

70s Thunderbirds used to come through this shop I used to frequent... I think I paid $600 for mine back in 1992 or so.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I wish I had the money to buy that one.... very cool....

I have two, a '76 and a '77, the '76 I bought new.

16. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I also bought a 76 TBird new back in the day. A Black one. It's got some wear on it now. But it got me thinkin about opening up that case and seeing the finish and chrome glistening for the first time. Oh ya, and that classic new Gibby smell. It's almost tempting enough to get another platinum card.;) I wonder what this new one will smell like?

Rezdog

17. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I wonder too if it still has that smell after all these years. I'd love to be there when they open it.

Here is mine, still in pretty good shape:

Image007.

18. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,

A Beauty! And she's still got the covers. Mine are in lost back in my Mother's house. I'll find them one day but the little black gaskets are prolly gone for good. Yup, that's pretty.

Rezdog

19. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You can't tell in the photo, but the bridge cover is very scratched up (through the chrome, I use to wear a chain bracelet). The pickup cover is in great shape though. The bass only has a few dings. Surprising, since I gigged it a lot for years. It is retired now. My other one ('77) is beat up and I gig with it.

If you need a tracing of the black gaskets let me know. You can get some made.

20. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,

Thanks for the offer on the gasket tracings. I'll prolly take you up on that in the summer. When it's time I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks again.

Rezdog