Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Golfers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 4, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I definitely consider myself an athletic person. I take to new sports pretty well, and have always enjoyed the personal challenge of getting better and better.

Well, about 4 weeks ago I was taking a walk with my lady, as we often do, and this time instead of going to the beach, we walked through Golden Gate Park. We passed the Golden Gate Park Golf Course, and I started hypothesizing that this could be a great sport for the two of us. We both love sports, we both love being outdoors, and this is a sport where, unlike say, tennis, you don't directly compete against one another. (As with most couples, I'm considerably stronger than she is). So, a week later, I'm playing basketball with a friend, and I mention my new interest, telling him I've never even swung a golf club in my life, let alone played. So, we both head over to the course, rent some clubs, and swing away in the cages.

Freakin' awesome! I loved it. So I was now addicted, and the next week we went and played a 9 hole course at Golden Gate. I had so much fun. The first hole was scary, maybe 8 shots over par. The second hole was worse, maybe 20 shots over par, (we just kept going, to get practice, and weren't actually keeping score). By the third hole, I felt much better, and actually bogeyed the fourth and sixth holes. I was straight addicted.

I went the next week and bogeyed two more holes and actually shot par on another. My friend had given me several different pieces of advice on my swing, and I was focusing on really getting a good swing each time. Also, keep in mind that this is a very easy course.

I love golf, and am now addicted for life. I can really see how people get into this. There's no feeling like hitting a good shot in golf. It's not like nailing a 3, it's not like running in for a touchdown. The only thing I can think of, is that it's like scoring a goal in soccer/football.

Any other golfers?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Beware, golf can become a super-powerered stress machine if you don't watch it.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Golf has been one of the most incredibly frustrating experiences ever in my life. I began playing somewhere around eight years-old at the local country club. My father was a passionate golfer and it was one of two things he did in life. He even served as president of the NCGA, and built Poppy Hills with his cronies in Carmel. I really had no choice in the matter. Unfortunately, I stunk then and I am no better thirty-two years later. I play every other week just to hang with some great people and get some walking in. On bad days, I come home with one or two less clubs than when I started.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a hard time with regular golf, mainly because I'm so tall, and it always seems like every club I use is too small for me.

Ironically, I enjoy mini-golf, though the local place is kind of run down and there are cracks in the walls that make it hard no matter how good your aim and geometry is.

I also really enjoy disc golf, that's something that I'm pretty good at, I have a good drive, and good accuracy with a frisbee.

regular golf, not yet, many friends of mine are into it, maybe I should play with them some time.

5. golf is fun if you don't take it seriously.
    just have fun and bring a ball retriever especially if there are water hazards! you'll never lose a ball, and i usually come out with more than i came into with!

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I really like golf. I try to get out every weekend. I find it relaxing, it's a great stress releiver, and it's a good way to hang out with the guys. It can get frustrating but you just gotta remember that it's all just for fun. Not that I'm good or anything, my handicap is through the roof! ;)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist: :cool:

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    My story sounds alot like yours. For the last few years (5 or 6 really), I have done alot of high impact sports like freestyle kayaking, distance running, sport-rock climbing, yada yada. The only problem was my girlfriend (now wife) is not quite built for distance running (more of a soccer player/field hockey player) and is deathly afraid of whitewater. Golf was something I could do with her (she was already pretty good), so I took it up.

It's been great for me...not only can I enjoy something with her, it's allowed me to spend more time with my father, brother and grandfather all of whom golf. I'm not really good, (I'm still playing bogey golf though I'm getting alot more distance as of today!) but I find it rewarding and satisfying as long as I don't take it seriously. I think golf and music are similar...people who succeed at music and golf (jazz) are introspective enough to make minor improvements in their methods, and disciplined enough to stick with it through their "Sucking" phase.

I think I will always play my bass and play golf. They've both made my life very rich and allowed me to form more meaningful relationships with people. And as an added bonus, you can enjoy a few cold beers and a cigar while both golfing and playing!

Will

8. i hit the country club as much as I can. Not very good, but i have fun, and thats all that really matters to me.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I took up golf this past spring, along with my wife and son. We play alot together. I am not that great right now, but it is definitely fun.

Golf has a way of absorbing all your money, which sucks. Clubs, and greens fees seriously eat into the bass gear budget. :( It is still way fun, and we won't stop playing anytime soon.

One piece of advice I got from a golf buddy......When you are ready to buy your own clubs, have them custom made. You didn't come off an assembly line, so don't buy clubs that did....Redbird Sports up here in the Seattle area uses that for their sales pitch. It's true though. My game got much better when I got clubs made for me.

-Mike

10. Golf came along in my life before bass did.

Unfortunately, both are the sort of hobbies that you wish you had found earlier in your life (and I'm only 17).

Anyhoo, golf can be the greatest of sports on a good day, and on others you wish you'd just have a brain haemorrage on the 11th green to get the day over with.

Just don't take it too seriously and just take it as a bit of fun. My golf got better when I stopped thinking of myself as a golfer and just as a bass player pretending to play golf, so I didn't put as much pressure on myself.

11. I've played golf for about 10 or 11 years. Absolutely love it. Normally, I try to hit the course or driving range at least 2-3 times per week. This year however, I have been out very little. I don't think I've been to the course since June or July sometime. Sad, really, considering golf season is fast drawing to a close.

12. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

That says it all. I play almost literally every sport there is, and I completely agree. Plus, you don't have to get all ready and hyped up to play golf, you can just go do it anytime. Even if you're dead tired.

13. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    You do know why it is called "golf" , don't you?

all of the other four letter words were taken :D

My dad taught me how to play when I was 12, we would get up on Sunday, go to church, go home and eat lunch and then load up the clubs and go to the golf course and wait to tee off (sometimes over a hour wait since we never had tee times..) we would usually end up finshing the 18th hole as it was getting dark (or in the dark!) I still play golf with my dad every chance I get.

Back when I could afford to play every week I was a 12 handicap (shooting in the low 80s) but since I don't get to play as much anymore I shoot in the low to mid 90s)

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah. I've been playing probably 10 years..
    Damn fun.

Just remember though, the less seriously you take yourself while playing on the course the better you're gonna do. I can almost guarantee that.

That's what makes it difficult in my opinion. It's probably 80% mental. If you let the bad shot you just made get to you.. They are gonna keep rolling in and your shots are gonna worse and worse.. It's happened to me many-a-times.. It drives me friggin' nuts!

Just repeat to myself : "S'only a game.."

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Remeber that movie? Caddy shack? you know... the good one... the first one... not the second crappy one... the first one...

Yeah that was a good movie...

Miniture golf is pretty fun/cool... especially for drinks...

16. I just have to say that golf is very hard and needs a lot of skills to play it well, also lot of time....
    But it's cool, not a golfer, but would like to If I had time...

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Jazz,

I'm kind of like you were 4 weeks back, never once played golf but considering it.

Now I see that my local grocery store (Which also sells all kinds of non-grocery items) has these really nice looking and feeling Wilson Silver Series clubs and bag on closeout for 90 bucks. Tempting...I just don't know if I'll have time for it.

Anyone know anything about Wilson Silver Series clubs? They're subtitled something like "airlight" or something. They previously had them at 160 or 170 bucks.

brad cook

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    At 42 I just took up the game last year and love it I finally graduated from verysucky to just plain ole sucky this year. I get out on the links once a week for the stress release. My Wife took up the game and it's a great way to spend some time with my Bro's. Driving the carts is half the fun!!

19. Golf.. man.. talk about a love-hate relationship!
    I love being outside on a nice day, I love playing nice golf courses, and I love it when I hit a good shot, or make a birdie, or even an eagle (I've had two.) But, the frustrating moments are far more frequent. The slices. The hooks. The tops. The chili-dips. The three-putts. Still, it's not enough to make me want to give up. Golf is the only sport or hobby I've encountered where doing well 5% of the time is sufficient motivation to want to keep going.
    On a long driving trip recently, my wife posed the question, "If you had to give up either playing music or playing golf, which would it be?" That's a tough one. Both are things I can do for the rest of my life, and they're both fulfilling, in different ways. Golf might have a slight edge because I enjoy playing alone, whereas with music I need a band to play with.. I'm never gonna make a bass solo album!

20. I golf once or twice a week with my mother (no friends golf)

It is good, because I usually beat her by 15 on average over 9 we play a game. You hit it in the sand, you owe the other person a beer, water... 2.

One of the highlights of my week