Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good 5-string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by planecrazy, Apr 30, 2002.

1. planecrazy

planecrazy

Apr 8, 2002
    Essex, UK
    Hi,
    I already own a Tanglewood Rebel 4K bass, but I want to buy a 5-string to go with it. Has anybody got any reccomendations as to what bass I should buy.

Cheers
    Planecrazy

2. Why don't you give us a price range to wrok with?

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, we need more info. There is a thread floating around here about the best bass under $500, go check that out.

4. In reference to the question in the thread title...NO!

:D
    Geoff

5. I reccommend the Midus "Opulent" fretless, made from 18 different illegal rainforest wood, waxed with Panda fat and with solid platinum hardware, parametric EQ, with 24 karat gold and diamond "Sistine Chapel" fretboard inlay design.

Hey if you have a couple hundred thousand to blow I'd go with it.

mmmmmmmmmm, illegal rainforest wood

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you didnt mention how much you wanted to spend, but i highly recommend an Elrick. i just picked up a Singlecut and love it to death! set neck design very similar to Fodera's. tight B string, and light light weight. mine's about 7.6 lbs, and its a 5 string! dont worry tho, the tone is deeper than a canyon.

[​IMG]

7. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    each bass over some price is good instrument.. than it`s only your choice what u will choose and how much money u have to have... that price starts somewhere around 900USD plus minus...in my view.. u will never be worry about that u bought that...

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Depends on your budget as people have hinted!!
    Guessing at about a £500 - £600 budget I'd say get one of the Korean built Spectors - an NS2000/5 or maybe a REX2000/5 depending on which body shape you like

check out www.ssdbass.com

They're listed under the professional series!

9. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    sorry i don`t like mexican or korean or whatever copies.. i agree they are okay for learning..but once when u buy normal bass like original spector is then u don`t need to buy any other bass in the future... and it`s not that horrible.. i don`t say a word if u don`t have a money to buy a copy, but my oppinion is that - well choosen original is forever... and copy for a year or couple of years...that`s how i see it with my basses... but it`s a little different topic... cya

10. planecrazy

planecrazy

Apr 8, 2002
    Essex, UK
    Sorry about not putting the price range in, people. I'm looking at £350 to £450. £500 tops.
    Anybody heard of Fleetwood? I saw a 5-string in a shop for under £250!!

Planecrazy

11. Ibanez BTB405QM, its great. I had one. I'm sure you will be able to find it in London less than £450. I got mine mail order for £420. Get one.

Seeing as I reckon I have reccomended this bass a lot, when do i get royalties from Ibanez.

sim

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You forgot the ivory nut and rhino horn in the neck,(for added stiffness)

13. I would recommend the Dean Edge Improv for the price you are asking. Check them out at www.deanguitars.com

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hohner B Bass V. I got one recently. It has a great sound, and great hardware. I love it. It's one of the best basses that I have ever played under $500 US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Bass IMO. I love it.

Nick

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Carvin LB75

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You guys got the MTD Kigstons over there in the UK? Best bass under 1000, best B string, almost period.

17. Exactly what he said.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

So Misanthrope - you are actually saying that the Czech made Spectors, which are after all 'just' copies of the American basses are OK for learning on for a year or two but that's about it??? Whow, that's quite a statement!! As for the Korean Spectors - have you ever tried one - really good value for money in my book, and definitely up there with some of the American or wherever made Original basses! But hey, that's just my opinion!

19. I third the already recommended Ibanez BTB405QM and second the MTD Kingston. Too bad the lower end Spectors aren't that cheap--they sound almost as good as the American ones! :)

EDIT: Thank you Big Daddy (that sounds funny). ;) :D

20. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    johny boom boo.. i think u are just playing with words... sorry for my dumby english, but in a fact i bet u know what i thought..