Any good alternates to using roundover bit??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HARD HAT, Sep 19, 2006.

1. I'm back on working with the Spalted Maple caps for my first build. I tried stabilizing with CA and wood hardener on a scrap sample I had built up with my body laminates but the stabilizing process made everything much darker than I wanted. So... I experimented with routing to my body template without stabilizing and it was starting to chip out in several places. The solution was to put a 1-1/2" sanding drum on the drill press and work with the grain - it came out looking great with perfectly smooth sides. Since I'm afraid of the chipout that I got with the pattern bit, I was wondering if there is any way I can get the roundover look without using the router. The sanding drum worked so well, I was hoping there may be some sanding attachment or whatever that someone has used as an alternate to the router. Any suggestions?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    good 'ole hand tools.
    it'll take longer, but you'll get exactly what you want. :D

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    have to agree with clock.....Spalted maple is so soft as it is, it shouldn't bee too hard. Just a lot of elbow grease.

As a side note, you can take a few blocks of 1/2" wood and glue them together, drill the size of the radius you want to use through the sandwich of blocks, and cut it into quarters, and this makes a nice little hand sander to help keep the radius constant around the body.

ALSO....goto Hambone's site....he has a pattern for a bow sander you can make with a piece of sandpaper and a piece of 1/8" stock, that can be really handy for the initial rounding of the edges.

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    yeah use a quarter circle sanding block after filing the edges.

i never worked with spalted woods before. but if it starts chipping out with your file, use soft ones or even harsh metal files/rasps to do the job.

but again, i never worked with spalts so i dont know exactly. thats what i would do if it was THAT soft.

5. Thanks for all the great suggestions. The radiused sanding block should do the trick.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    and don't forget your respirator! plus, make sure you ventilate the area well after your sanding - you don't want those live fungal spores setting up camp in your lungs

all the best,

R

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021