Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any good bass amp (head) for under 500 $

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Getserious, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Getserious

Getserious

Jan 21, 2005
    are there any good ones

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure. It depends on what you want. You need to be more specific about power, features, etc. Your question is kinda too general as it is. For example, there's this head:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=B500&CID=BA

I have the big brother of this head (the B1500) and it's a very good amp. This one doesn't have as much output, but if it sounds anything like the B1500 (and it should, 'cause the preamp is the same), then it should sound pretty good.

There are also a lot of used heads you could look into. But again, try to to focus your query a bit more, and I'm certain a lot of us will be able to help you further.

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are lots of good heads under 500.
    Please specify what type of head you are looking for.
    Stuff like power and eq and type of music. I think we can help you better with this info.

danman

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    tons on the used market
    eden wt-300, wt 400, swr bass 350, sm-400, some trace elliot heads, gk heads, etc, etc, etc.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Also you can get a used HA7000 Hartke head (350+350 watts, biampable)!

ANDRUCA

6. Getserious

Getserious

Jan 21, 2005
    i dont really know anything about heads so i dont know what kind of power i need . i'm in a metal band and my guitar player has the marshall 100 watt amp i dont know if that helps

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well what kind of sound are you wanting? Have you gone to a music store and tried out their amps? You can usually find some of the stuff there for cheaper used.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    imo you need at an amp that will put out at least 400 watts into the cabinet(s) you are using. you should also have at least two 12", four 10" or two 15" drivers to compete with that kind of guitar amp. my guitar player uses a 100 watt marshall type head. i use a 12" and a 15" and 400 watts just barely worked, right now i usually use 800, sometimes i add a 2x10 and end up using 1050 watts.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

If you're looking for something that has more of a clean sound, the Peavey Max 450 is a good way to go.

It won't give you shredding tube distortion, but you could use an effect for that.

I've used the Deltabass (same preamp, less power) with a Sans Amp BDDI and the sound was PHat.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I ordered one of these from my local dealer for $485 (should get it by week's end). Lotta head (and watts) for under $500. Harmony Central and other reviews are good so far. I even read that one guy had one fall from 7ft high off of this rig onto the ground and it survived...

Click Here

And Here for Factory Detail

Can't wait to get it. I'll post a full review once it's in my hands! :bassist:

11. I can also vouch for the Peavey 450 Max. I use one with an Avatar B212 and it sounds great. Solid and reliable. It can operate at 2 ohms if you want. If you want more flexibility in tone, add a Sans Amp Bass Driver/DI and you'll be set.

12. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Not to hijack the thread, but man..that seems like an awesome deal..I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about it.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I second looking into Carvin. For the money, they can't be beat. No other company combines the power and versatility into a head like they do. I believe they have a sale going on so you should find something in your range. The RL600 and RL1000 heads are great, IMO, and deliver flexible routing, ample power and tons of tones. Also, they have a ten day return policy if you're not satisfied. Good luck.

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    +1 on the Carvin B500

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Honestly never tried the R600 or R1000 but I had an older PB150 (150 watts w 10" speaker) combo that I was not happy with. Granted this was a much lower end unit than the R series head, but I think that Carvin was VERY generous on the output of amps on this thing. I also have two other similar watt heads that blow the doors off that thing. I have/had Hartke HA1400 and a Trace Elliot Commando 100. Both are WAY louder than the Carvin was.

I know for sure that I don't like Carvin's cabs. They use pretty low end Eminence speakers. They are about the same specs as the Eminence Beta line. Be nice if they used Deltas or Kappas, etc. The construction on the cabs is so so also. Again, I do admit I don't know much about Carvin's R600 and R1000 heads. They both are under $500 and may be very nice. I'm just not a big fan of some of their other stuff...

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    How about the Yorkville XS400? Seems to have gotten very good reviews here at TB. :hyper:

17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I bought a Peavey Centurion bass head at a garage sale for $60. The guy threw in good pair of hedge clippers. I'm running it into a PLX3002 into a Cerwin-Vega 18 cabinet. The sound out of this thing is incredible. Booming lows, tight mids, and warm highs. The overtones and richness of this set-up blows me away. It beats the heck out of my Demeter or the SVT-CL I had before. I think I've finally found my sound. :hyper: