Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good bass mags out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by trompin64, Jun 14, 2000.

1. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Any good bass magazines out there that you've heard of? I've read Bass Player, but want something a little more "hip" and "in". Any help would be appreciated. (I just want names).

~trompin64
    David Wilder

2. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Anyone? Anyone?

3. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Try 'Bassics Magazine'...for a quick look goto: www.bassics.com

------------------
    Hey....Who said Ric's are for kids?.....Bye, --MR

4. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Thanx... looks cool i'll try it.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Also try Bass Frontiers. They have a web site too, I beleive. Jason Olsted

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I wonder why there is no bass magazine in the style and with the attitude of Guitar World. I have even thought about trying to start one myself. Guitar World and Guitar School occassionally have bass player interviews and a little teeny bit about bass, but I would think, since every band...almost...has a bass player and most people just taking up bass are young, that a bass player magazine with a really young look and appeal would have some success. So they wouldn't have interviews with jazz greats, they'd be going after Timmy C, Fieldy, Jason Newsted, Robert Trujillo, Jeff Ament and Dorian, and the like. That doesn't say they wouldn't have the rare interview with Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Abe Lorial, or Nathan East...but the emphasis would be metal and pop.

The only reason I can surmise that such a magazine doesn't exist is that there are so many more guitar players than bass players, but if it came out, say, only six times a year, it might be able to scrape by.

Jason Oldsted