Any good Bass stores in Austin TX?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    I'm on my way to Austin for a week-long conference and was wondering if any of you Texas tbers know of decent bass stores in the downtown area?

2. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
  3. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Sweet! Thanks guys. I get to try a Sadowsky!!!! :hyper:
  4. The Austin Bass Trader is out of a house (or used to be). Call to make an appointment.
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    A cool shop, when I was there had about 6-7 old jazzes (refins) which were all totally cool and affordable (1000-1500). Really fun!
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Still is. Recently bought my MTD 535 from Glenn... absolutely a great guy to deal with, but given the nature of his operation and his approach, it's not the sort of situation where you can pop in and play all of the cool axes. If you find something on the website you're specifically interested in, you'll find Glenn to be a real pleasure to work with.

Aside from Bass Emporium, Guitar Resurrection on Guadalupe usually has a relatively nice selection of mid to high range instruments and amps.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Just about every guitar store in Austin is a cool bass shop, but Bass Emporium just rules.
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Try Guitar Resurection (did I spell right?) on Guadalupe street by UT campus. Pretty darn good basses and used. South Austin Music on South Lamar sometimes has some cool used basses.
  9. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A vote for Bass Emporium! I was turned off from Guitar Resurrection when they expressed exactly zero interest in having a bass builder two blocks away. John at the Emporium, however, has been very supportive.
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I've been to Bass Emporium a couple of times. Took my nine year old son (who is well behaved) once and the owner (can't remember his name) was real cool with me and my boy hanging around. Of course I was the only one trying out basses. They've got some damn good high end basses there for sure. And the owner is really cool.
  11. The best place to go is the Bass Emporium in my opinion. I found MY bass there. I do visit all of the stores when I have time. But no matter how little time I have in Austin I visit the Bass Emporium.
  12. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Bass Emporium. I live right behind it! Going there in an hour for strings.
    John is the best. You'll see their advert at the top(the green one).
    GR is going to, or has moved.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I need to go down to Austin and check out Bass Emporium.

I have talked to John on the phone a few times, and he seems to be a very nice guy.

I am moving this to Miscellaneous.
  14. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Bass Emporium is the only Bass store in Austin IMHO.
    The owner John is a class act to deal with.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Over the years, I bought an MTD 535 and and an iAMP 800 from Glen at Austin Basstraders. He's very knowlegeable and a great guy to deal with.
  16. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    +1 to everyone who mentioned Bass Emporium, I just got back from lessons there and I have to agree John is one of the nicer people I've ever met. His basses are terrific too :D .