Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good bass stores open Saturday in Columbus, OH?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's too cold to go kayaking, kind of want to skip over to Columbus and look at some basses. Guess I'm just wondering where the biggest selection of interesting instruments.

I think I heard the name of a shop in the german village that had Lakland and such?

Will

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The German Music Haus has a good selection of pretty good gear, and there's a store (Buddy Rodgers?) that carries some high end gear like Roscoes, although it's on the other side of the state. There's a custom bass builder named Bob Frenz who lives in Columbus that makes some awesome stuff, and there's a GC or two up there.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    German Village Music Haus is a tiny, tiny little place, it usually has about three high-end basses, and the rest is the usual fare. Worth it if you are already IN Columbus anyway, but definitely not worth the drive from WV. I think right now they have ONE Lakland Skyline, and the last time I was there also one Alembic and one Ken Smith. Probably less than a dozen other basses of lesser quality (Cort, G&L, Ibanez, etc.).

Sam Ash and Guitar Center are only about one mile from each other on the same road (Morse Rd.) about 20 minutes north of German Village, worth a look-see, but usually nothing too high-endy, perhaps a Warwick or two and the usual Fender fare.

If you can track down Bob Frenz, its always worth a look to see what he has available. He's a tremendous luthier who has made some exceptional custom basses. Worked out of his house last time I heard from him, and that was a few years ago.

Also, this upcoming Sunday is the Ohio Winter Guitar Show from 11:30am to 6:00pm, and there's always a few bass gems to peer at there as well as local people carrying around their wares for sale and trade.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eric, do you happen to know where the Ohio Guitar show will be? I'd be interested in checking it out, not to mention show off my new custom by a lesser-known Cleveland luthier.

Oh, and speaking of Bob Frenz, when I was choosing a luthier a while back, I wasn't able to track him down period, even after leaving a couple messages on his machine.

5. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    Brian,

The Winter Guitar Show will be at the Aladdin Shrine Temple on Stelzer Road, which is just off Morse Road.
    It is usually pretty good. Bob from Bass Palace is usually there as is Darryl Jones from Indy. I will have a few bass items at my booth (Welfare Guitars, in conjuction with a few friends).
    It is worth the drive.

James