Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good books or dvd's that explore the drums and bass relationship?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kindablue, Nov 19, 2004.

1. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I think something like this would be useful for those of us that need to work on their groove skills.any recommendations?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    John Patitucci's "Electric Bass Vol. 1" This video covers many different styles of grooves,gives a brief explanation of thier origins, and the player most responsable for mastering it. He also plays them with Dave Weckel so that you can dirrectly relate them with the drums.

It's a very good video and you will gain a lot of knowledge should you purchase it.

3. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    thanks guys...any others?it would seem like a pretty important
    study. :meh:

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's very important, but the best way to study it is to do it. Do what you can to find a drummer to play with, and if you can't, find some sort of drum machine as a last resort.

5. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The Larry Graham video (Funk Bass Attack or something) is great, it's all about the groove. They explain some grooves and talk about stuff, and they play a bunch of tunes. Greg Errico is sweet on drums. Lots to be learned. I don't know if it is available on DVD, though.

There are also a lot of drum-oriented dvds which might be helpful, maybe the Drummer's Collective or Modern Drummer videos, for example. There are so many choices...

6. I saw one many years ago,for jazz...it was an instructional video of Steve Gadd,and at the end he and Eddie Gomez were playing together...showing how the two should "lock in".
    I have heard of another with Chad Smith and Flea(RHCP)...if that is more your thing...

7. I have this one and it is pretty good. I like to watch it at least once a year and pick up the stuff that I missed/forgot. Don't know if it is on DVD, but Starlick Sessions put it out.

In case I didn't mention it this video is almost entirely about the relationship between bass and drums..

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lincoln Goines/Robbie Ammeen-Funkifying The Clave For Bass & Drums

...not sure if there a video/DVD; regardless, the book/cds are terrific.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
  10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    There is a video! Oh boy, you haven't seen it? It isn't the exact same stuff as on the book/cd, but it is cool, for sure. No Mike Stern on the video, though. :(

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I haven't seen it, but I know of the Making Music dvd with Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...looks like I need to add that to the list.

Leanne, where did you pick it up?

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Nathan East has a new video out called "The Business of Bass" that you should check out for a number of reasons, including bass/drums dialogue

14. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    It is definitely worth it. I bought it on ebay, I had been looking for a while. Wayne Krantz and Bill O'Connell are on some of it too.

15. JimmyT

JimmyT Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    Funk Grooves workshop for bass by Fernando Martinez. Excellent book for that idiom, with a CD that isolates bass and drum parts, also giving you the figures in the book. I got it through Abersold.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Play along with your favorite drummers' recordings.